PDA

View Full Version : Port side steering opinions...

oldLenny
08-20-2002, 03:00 PM
In the repower of Scot Van A's boat (16, port side steering) would you all lean towards right rotation for ease in prop finding or left rotation to counter torque steer? Either way it is an Alpha, 1:5...curious...it WILL have tabs...

Moody Blu'
08-20-2002, 03:14 PM
hmmm
left hand props left hand steering.

right hand props right hand steering..

I would think your gonna have a little lean with no tabs.
WIth the tabs your gonna be scrubbing some speed off to keep the boat level(if you go right hand).I would say left hand...

Rodger
08-20-2002, 03:45 PM
I have a 1966 16' Donzi that originally had an Eaton outdrive with left-hand rotation. I converted to an Alpha drive with right-hand rotation. When I am alone in the boat it leans some but with 2 people it's not too bad. Before I did the conversion it was good with one person but had noticable lean with 2 people. So I guess it comes down to the number and placement of passengers. I don't have trim tabs, but if I did the lean wouldn't be of any concern to me. I would just level it out like I often have to do in my 22' Donzi. My brother has a 24' Cigarette with left steering and left hand prop, original from the factory. He also just uses the tabs to correct.

Forrest
08-20-2002, 04:05 PM
My '72 16 is port-side steering as usual, and a has a RH Alpha SS outdrive. I very seldom run it with just me in it only, but I did find that if you raise your X-dimension and use a cleaver-type prop, not only will you go faster than with a standard X and bow-lifting (Mirage type) prop, you will cut a whole bunch of prop-induced torque as well.

Formula Jr
08-20-2002, 04:12 PM
I have a port console and a right hand MR. I don't like the set up cause I run with just the Dog Alot. Henry isn't heavy enough to balance the boat. That last little few inches just before your are airborn and just before you throttle back, the boat really tries to roll so you're always giving it a little jerk to Starboard. If it it isn't done just so on a big jump, I'm always landing on the port side.

Somehow Alphas had to be set up to run LH as there are thousands of twin Alpha setups out there. And I know Lefthand props are available, even though my Mercruiser book says ALL Alphas spin clockwise.

Rodger
08-20-2002, 04:34 PM
I was always under the impression that Alpha's were right hand rotation. I've seen plenty of twin engine setups from the early to mid eighties where both drive were right hand. I have, however, heard of some outfits that would convert you right hand Alpha to a lefty, but it wasn't cheap.

Scott Pearson
08-20-2002, 09:38 PM
Lenny,
I have port steering in my 18 with an Alpha. I also have tabs. Works great! I would never change it to Starboard. Looks too KOOL on the port side.

(NJ)Scott

RH
08-20-2002, 09:58 PM
Lenny, call me old fashioned, but you have to leave the steering on the post side. Can you place the battery on the starboard side? I know that the 18 has the battery placed in the center under the back seat. Everyon that comes up to look at the Hornet all remark about how cool that left hand drive is. When I think of Donzi, I think that is one of the cool things about them.
(My $0.02 worth)
RH

harbormaster
08-20-2002, 10:17 PM
He will have to leave the steering on the left side seeing as it is a 16 with the L shaped bench on the right... :D

RH
08-20-2002, 10:22 PM
Thanks Harbormaster for the correction. I do now recall that the 16 has the molded wraparound seat base built it. If I ever repower the Hornet with Bravo equipment, the helm will stay left. I would really like to see some trim on the boat to see how much the performance would be enhanced from the original 270 Volvo set up.
RH

oldLenny
08-20-2002, 11:04 PM
I wouldn't think of changing the helm...EVER. I am just more or less interested in the plus(s) and minus(s) of the two rotations and since I am starting from scratch and either way is easy I can do it right the first time out...

Moody Blu'
08-21-2002, 12:31 AM
RH If you ever swap out your drive stick with the volvo just get a volvo drive with trim.

I have learned that switching from a bravo FROm a volvo is just making your self more prone to breakage.Antoher words the volvo drives are stronger then the bravo and far much work is involved to swap to another volvo drive wink
I bought a 270 with trim and tilt it is supposedly a easy swap..

RH
08-21-2002, 07:53 AM
Moody, that thought has crossed my mind as well. Would I just look for a 280 drive with trim and tilt? With a kid ready for college, and the boat running just fine, I'm sure that this will have to wait unless and outdrive presents itself.
I am hoping ot have the interior redone this winter, afterall, it's only money!
RH

ALLAN BROWN
08-21-2002, 08:01 AM
Here's why. Jim Wynne had the patent on the Volvo drive, which went both ways. Merc only had right hand. Jim designed all his single engine boats with left hand steering, so that the builders were forced to use Volve drives. Pretty sneaky, huh?

oldLenny
08-21-2002, 08:25 AM
INTERESTING!!!...so left hand rotation it will be only not sure about a Volvo. I am buying a "new" out of the box package from MERC so I will have left hand options, only I will have a limited supply of props to choose from.

Jamesbon
08-21-2002, 12:35 PM
Simply put, the prop spins to one side, the driver sits on the other. It's all to counter-act the torque... And yes, I have an older LH/port helm and have every intention of keeping it that way.

Moody Blu'
08-21-2002, 01:28 PM
RH I think there are some 270 drives out there with trim....
I'm not sure on this but you may only need to buy a trim and tilt gimbal housing to convert your drive to trim and tilt.

I have a 250 drive on my classic so switching the whole drive was eminent.

I'm not sure but I think the drive I bought is a pretty rare one at that(a 270 with trim and tilt)
but I bet you could find one.

as allan brown said the drive goes both ways..

you can use left or right hands on the volvo without any major gear changes or "conversions" like the merc's

One thing to look for with a volvo drive is the LONG shaft, if you get a drive with a LONG shaft you can use a WIDE variety of props...
some merc props that have been rehubbed for a volvo need that long shaft to fit securely wink

if you search youll find a topic name : "my name says it all drive swap decisions"
theres tons of info in that topic and plenty other topics. :D