PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding 152 Medallion Sport Jet 90

tomnjackie2
07-19-2003, 05:04 PM
Hi,

We recently bought a 1994 152 Medallion Sport Jet 90. We love the boat but when we first throttle it, the bow raises up & never really drops back down in the water. If we have everyone sit in the bow, it does cause the boat to drop down some, but it never planes out like it should.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance!

mattyboy
07-20-2003, 09:50 AM
tom,

I don't have a great deal of know how on a jet boat but have fooled with a jet ski everyonce and awhile. things I would check
1 trim settings make sure you trim all the way down until planed off
2. make sure the engine is running ok, might not be putting out all the power needed , you may not be running on all cylinders.
3. check your drive system make sure it is not clogged also check the impellor it can suck up rock and things and get dinged up, lastly check the nozzle to make sure it is not missing pieces.
hope that helps

Matty

Bad-Tat
07-20-2003, 07:42 PM
Tom,
I had one of those and it was a blast!! Never had the problem you have though. I would always plane off with everyone in the back. Look at the setting of the ride plate. Sounds like it's been raised at the back.

Lucas
09-22-2003, 03:41 AM
Now this reminds me of myself some time ago!! I would go around bboards asking about my 152 medallion nad usually people would never reply back!! Thats why I have to tell you my story so you know what you are dealing with...

The 152 medallion is a SERIOUSLY underpowered boat. It was one of the first jet boats so you can assume that people were still experimenting with them. It came out in two flavours.. 90HP and 120HP. Now jet-boats come out with 175+ HP. (They are also much lighter than the medallion!)

90HP was ridiculously low HP to move this boat! THe old mercury-force engine just cant deliver!

What can you do? This is what I've done but now I am in the process of getting a larger RIB because I just CANT take it any more!!!

1) Of course check to see if your engine is running 100%. (Carb cleaning e.t.c.) You should be able to plane with one adult person and reach something like 26-27 mph.

2) A typical problem with these engines is the stator. When this engine came out all of the were defective. For quite a long time I was trying to figure out what was happening and finally it was the stator. What happened was that although in low rpm the engine was fine.. at wot one of the cylinders wasnt getting any electricity. You really need the red stator kit for this engine.

3) Check to see that no water is trapped in the engine compartment. Now this is tricky. This boat has a MAJOR flaw. It has the two pipes that are supposed to get the water from the inside of the boat to the side holes. If one of the hoses brakes then water floods the inside of the boat. So far so good but... there is now way of getting the water out! THe back of the boat is inacessible.. I had a hose failure and had the boat under the sun, raise bow high and after a few months it still had water inside it.

If you still want to fix your boat.. and dont get me wrong, I have a love/hate relationship with my boat. It made me realize how much I like to be out at sea but then again it also made me realize I need to get something better! (I've had constant failures!)

But... and this might sound like an add to you but I promise you it is not.. get yourself a pair of trim tabs. I first contacted nauticus when I found out their website and got a pair of tabs. I now represent nauticus in greece. The tabs do the job! They lift the boat so it can plane easily. I wont lie to you. Your boat will not plane in 1 second and go up to 60mph but.. it will plane with 4 people sitting in the back and go up to 25mph. (FORGET about skiing) If you contact nauticus speak with John and tell him lucas from greece told you about his jet boat. He will know!

Thats all. If you have any question e-mail me. I know what you are going through!!!!

Lucas

Rootsy
09-22-2003, 07:23 AM
tomnjackie,

you didn't by chance purchase your boat in the irish hills of michigan did you? if so it was my neighbors which sold this past summer...