PDA

View Full Version : ASD6

oldLenny
08-20-2002, 01:43 PM
This is a good price , is it not?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?db=reardrives&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=179&query=re trieval

Seems like it is all there, rams as well and pump...

Woodsy
08-20-2002, 01:54 PM
It's already gone.... and no, i didn't get it!!! :mad:

I was momentarily considering getting out of the blackHawk business for that drive! I got an e-mail from the guy this morning... some b@#st#$d from AZ beat me to it... oh well...

Woodsy Von Donzi :D :D

Greg Maier
08-20-2002, 02:00 PM
Woody,
I know where you can find a used Borg Warner 1720 (straight drive) with all the pumps/hydraulics for significantly less than $4000.

Forrest
08-20-2002, 02:34 PM
I would think that in a Donzi or other boat where the engine is as far back a possible, you would need the model with a drop-box as opposed to a straight through unit.

blackhawk
08-20-2002, 08:14 PM
I think it depends on in you are going to use their bravo conversion kit. With the kit I think you want a straight drive because their standoff box may drop the drive. I could be wrong.

http://www.arneson-industries.com/Step6.jpg

KMLFAMILY
08-20-2002, 08:45 PM
Are these a direct drive set -up (sprint car) or do they have a neutral/rev in the box ? Sure look impressive, but pricey.

Cuda
08-20-2002, 08:47 PM
I found one a couple weeks ago that was like new, complete (no tranny) for $1500. The guy said he had a buyer, but if he didn't recieve the money by that Monday, it was back for sale. Guess he got the money. He did email me and say he knew where another one was for sale, not in quite as nice condition for $1000.

Greg Maier
08-20-2002, 08:58 PM
Blackhawk,
Rik from Arneson told me that the Bravo Conversion kit uses the drop box (1721) ASD6. With the direct drive you would either need to have a ZF or Hurth transmission to reverse the prop direction or have the engine turning the same direction as the prop. I was told that the engine and prop turning in the same direction would be a bad thing.

blackhawk
08-20-2002, 09:07 PM
Greg, like I said I may be wrong. I too talked with Rik but it was awhile ago. I guess I should have read the parts list!

List of parts in kit:

Char-Lynn Hydraulic Helm Unit
Rear HD Engine Mount
HD Drive Plate
Velvet Drive Transmission Bellhousing
BAM Marine Modified Velvet DriveƔ Transmission
Drive Line
Arneson Standoff Box
Arneson ASD6 Drop Box Drive Unit, Complete with External Hydraulic Steering and Trim Cylinders, choice of RH or LH rotations, choice of reduction/overdrive ratios: 1:1, 1.32:1 and 1.56:1, Trim Pump, Backing Plates and Mounting Bolts.

KMLFAMILY
08-20-2002, 09:35 PM
So the trans. fit"s inside the stand off box and is directly behind the engine ? Just trying to learn ,please forgive. KEN

Greg Maier
08-20-2002, 10:36 PM
I believe that the transmission sits partially in the transom and partially in the stand off box.

Woodsy
08-21-2002, 06:27 AM
Hey Guys,

Talked with Rick/Arneson yesterday... to use thier kit, you need a drop box ASD-6. He will sell the kit without the drive for about $7000. The older style Borg Warner Drives also have a shaft compatibility problem with the new stuff...

I guess I'll stay the course with my BlackHawks.... the IMCO standoff box got here yesterday... very nice piece.....

Bad-Tat
08-21-2002, 06:38 AM
Woodsy,
You going to put that standoff box in front of the blackhawk drive?

Woodsy
08-21-2002, 07:48 AM
Hola Mr. Bateman...

Yes, The grand plan is....

Imco Extension Box 12' setback with 3" lift. This serves two functions, it artificially raises the X-dim to approximately where it should be for a BlackHawk. I really don't want to redo my transom. It also has the added benefit of moving the props off the back of the boat 12 extra inches, so they will be running in alot cleaner water. The boat will also react better to rougher water because it will "think" it is longer than it really is. I benefit as well from a lower center of gravity, because my engine will be in the stock position. I don't have the rocker in the hull that you factory BlackHawk guys have, so I may have a problem lifting the nose a little and airing her out. However, I do think you guys have too much rocker. A set of those Arneson Rocker Plates should take care of that problem for me. Because of the design of the extension box, I will have to go with external hydraulic steering.

I have most of the parts I need with the exception of the hydraulic steering. I should be getting the Char-Lynn helm sometime in the next few weeks, and the rest of the steering over the winter. Hopefully I will have it all in the boat for next spring... I think I will be seeing approximately 78-79mph on GPS with this setup, using my stock 454MAG MPI. Then its time to supercharge & regear... that should put me into the 90's.....

ALLAN BROWN
08-21-2002, 08:07 AM
I have a Borg-Warner 71 tranny with a built-in 2:1 drop box w/parallel shafts in perfect shape for $1,000.

blackhawk
08-21-2002, 11:17 AM
Woodsy,

I know you don't have to do anything with the transom. But, I thought that you had to raise your engine with the 3" box?

Woodsy
08-21-2002, 11:45 AM
BlackHawk...

No, you don't have to do a thing to your motor other than remove it to install the Imco Transom Plate. Thats the beauty of this setup. There is no wrangling or anything to do with the engine placement. The engine location is totally stock, no problems with thru hulls, wiring, linkage etc... it's really a pretty slick design.

Ranman
08-21-2002, 11:54 AM
Woodsy, Email me some pics of that IMCO box if you get a chance. I'd really like to see how it's made. Randy

Woodsy
08-21-2002, 12:13 PM
Randy...

Will do! I'll get some digital pix this weekend. Its a big hunk of cast aluminum, shaped like a trapezoid... it really is a pretty sweet design!

PS: Say hi to Jenn for Princess & I!!

Jamesbon
08-21-2002, 12:22 PM
I have a standard rotation 509, Borg Warner 72C, Arneson extension box and drop box ASD-6 drive with left hand prop. All turning the same way. I'll let you know how it works out in a couple months.

With a straight Arneson drive, you can use a drop trannie. I.E. input on the trannie is higher than the output. However, I don't know anything about the drop trans.

If you want pics of the hardware I have, lemme know!

Woodsy
08-21-2002, 12:57 PM
BlackHawk...

You were right, I do have to raise my engine 3".... just started reading the destruction manual....

this ought to be good...

blackhawk
08-21-2002, 01:02 PM
Woodsy,

How can an extension box raise your X with the motor in it's stock location? How doees everything line up? It was my understanding that the motor does have to be raised to line the engine coupler with the box. :confused:

blackhawk
08-21-2002, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I double checked with Ron at IMCO myself because I was kinda kicking around the idea. Well, at least you have all winter to get it done!

I think you will still get some good benefits with the box on your hull. Like I said, I was kicking it around but I was unsure how my boat with handle with the rocker in my hull combined with hanging the weight of the outdrive further back. I figured if it was just a bolt on application I'd try it. But after finding out you have to raise the motor I decided not to be the first to "test" it. I think it will work well with your hull. Just my opinion.