PDA

View Full Version : new drive on blackhawk le

DAULEY
10-12-2003, 09:29 AM
installed a bravo on my blackhawk what a diffence
boat is a lot more user friendly easy to dock only lost about 3 miles per hr running a 24 bravo one at wot 4600 rpms 74.8 on rader gun
boat runs like a dream

Greg Maier
10-12-2003, 11:54 AM
Bob,

I would think that a cleaver style prop would even run better on the Blackhawk Hull. A cleaver will give less bow lift and will also have less prop torque than a round eared prop. When I try a Bravo drive on mine next year, I am planning on going with a Hydromotive Q IV.

AVickers
10-15-2003, 10:13 AM
What's up w/ installing Bravos on Blackhawks?

Isn't there a pad on the Blackhawk hulls that would interfere w/ the function of a standard drive? Isn't the X-dimension off?

Why the changeout?

Greg Maier
10-15-2003, 11:25 AM
I have several reason I want to install a Bravo.

1. Blackhawk parts are scarce. I don't plan on not using the Blackhawk, but I will limit its use. 90% of the time that I am running the Donzi, I never exceed 50 MPH. With the wakes and wind driven chop on the Chesapeake, it is usually too rough to go over 50 MPH.

2. I think the Bravo will handle better in rough water. Running fast with the Blackhawk in rough water is tough. Since the drive is so short, it is tough to keep it in the water.

3. Docking with the Blackhawk is a chore. The Blackhawk either goes 0 MPH or 7 MPH, nothing in between. This is due to the 31 pitch props. I've actually started trimming the drive up to trailer position when docking, which knocks the speed down to about 4 MPH, but then you have no reverse.

4. The raised X-Dimension shouldn't be a problem. It will be similiar to an IMCO Shorty on a 22 Classic. If the X-dim is a problem, then a 2 inch drive extender could be installed.

Several people have said that the Blackhawk will handle like $hit with the Bravo, but other people have said that it does just fine. I will have to try it and see for myself.

Bad-Tat
10-15-2003, 06:46 PM
Greg,
Docking isn't the problem for me but you sure better be straight when hitting the trailer!!!

blackhawk
10-15-2003, 06:54 PM
And don't forget about the dirty looks from people in the no wake zones!

Greg Maier
10-15-2003, 07:13 PM
Scott,
I'm not worried about the people, I'm worried about the Natural Resources Police. There is this one fat whale of a female cop who does a "Safety Inspection" on me every time she sees me.

blackhawk
10-15-2003, 07:42 PM
Greg, I know what you mean. Whenever I see the "law" coming down the river I throw it in neutral and coast by them! :)

Are you saying the same officer does an inspection on you everytime she sees you? How often does this happen?

Greg Maier
10-15-2003, 08:07 PM
She has stopped me three times this summer. Maybe she is looking for any extra food.

BUIZILLA
10-15-2003, 08:45 PM
Sounds to me like she has a crush on ya.. :p :rolleyes:

J

DAULEY
10-15-2003, 10:59 PM
boat handles as well if not better with the bravo

Barry Phillips
10-21-2003, 10:43 AM
Greg, I think she likes you.

A former Donzi dealer I know who sold Donzis from the early 90s to 2000 told me that the Blackhawk series used 3 different hull designs. I'm not sure how true that is. It would be interesting to find out and what the changes were.

SO-SLO

roadtrip se
10-22-2003, 09:55 AM
Barry,

One Blackhawk hull design actually made it into production. There are three Classic 22 hulls in existence, the old 22, the new 22, and the blackhawk 22. Maybe your dealer got it mixed around.

I've driven two blackhawk to bravo conversions at full speed. I've also driven several blackhawk boats with proper set up. Both bravo boats wanted to lean and porpise at high speeds which are not desireable handling traits in my opinion.
When you master the blackhawk, there is no other Classic that runs or handles like it, a true thrill.

As for the other handling "flaws" of the boat.
No idle speed in the marinas... My Imco boat does the same thing with 28-29 pitch props, it is something you live with. The rough handling in big water... not a dang thing you can do about it.
Parts availability... buy another drive and keep it as an extra or donor. Props... scoop them up if you can find them.

These boats are something very special and very notorious. My suggestion is to run them in conditions where they excel and don't mess with them. If your conditions or your stomach for the other issues with this boat are unacceptable, then sell it or buy another Donzi and start a fleet....

Looking forward to the fire now, but I like it that way...

Todd

ToonaFish
10-22-2003, 06:46 PM
Actually, Todd, (pun intended) BRAVO!

Bunches,

Celene 'smoking hickory nuts on the Q'

Greg Maier
10-22-2003, 09:00 PM
Todd,

Can you send me your address? I want to send you my payment coupons. Since you are making the calls with regards to my boat, can you make the payments also? :p

What is the difference between a Blackhawk hull with a Bravo Drive and a Blackhawk hull with a Blackhawk drive, maybe 30 minutes of time changing drives? Am I missing something here? don't the Bravo Drives and Blackhawk drives use the same transom assembly?

terry
10-22-2003, 09:26 PM
ROFLMAO!! Good one Greg! Yes they use same transom.

mattyboy
10-22-2003, 09:34 PM
Black hawk with a bravo is a 22 clasiic right??? wink :p :p :D

Matty
Off my Rocker!!!!

roadtrip se
10-23-2003, 10:13 AM
Greg,

Send me the payment book, but I get the boat too!
Let me know when I can come get it!

Yes, the transom assemblies are the same, but there are just a few differences beyond that.
Happy to chat with you about it, if you would like. Email me your contact info at todd_somerville@reyrey.com as my private email is DOA right now.

Of course my boat is bone stock, so I have ignored my own advice in this post about modifying stuff. If you must, go for it, but if you do, good luck man....

Todd
"I like teal..."