PDA

View Full Version : Paging Broque

MOP
08-20-2002, 07:50 AM
SO did you change out the whole helm? I hope you used the one I gave you intact, it was vertualy brand new. I changed the guy over to hydraulic when the boat was only a few months old.

Moody Blu'
08-20-2002, 11:07 AM
heh, I would have called you(pm me with you phone #)

It was about 5:00 on friday..

First I took off the steering wheel and was going to change out the old BIG T completely. Well, when I took off the steering wheel there were 3 RUSTED flat head screws holding the BIG T on.I TRIED to get it off, the tops of the screw just fell apart when I applied turning pressure.Sooooo I took off the steering box and installed the new one. :rolleyes: I know you guys didnt want me to do this but I had no choice, besides I wanted to be running for the next day.(I'll drill out the screws at the end of the season)
I proceeded to feed the cable into the new big T and the big t stopped feeding it half way through.

It was about 5:25 when that happened.

Now, I unbolted the clamp in the back by the drive(which holds the cable in place) and pulled the cable out. I flew down to the marine shop and they had some skinny steering cable for a outboard, I would have used it but the KNOW IT ALL marine store lady(I cant stand her) said it wouldnt work. I was pretty much pissed, cuz my weekend was ruined.

well, on my way back to my house I figured I would stop at the volvo penta dealer. The guy who owns it is named TED(hes the son and parts manager). Now I showed him the cable and he comes out with the same thickness cable(heavy duty) but with the wrong end. The end on my cable has a thread for the ball joint tie rod piece. All the new cables have a hole with no thread for a tie rod end. SOO he said no problem all you need is a stainless piece so my clamp will hold the cable in place and a u joint type thingamajig that will bolt up to my tiller on my drive.

NOW this is a VOLVO PENTA dealer.....
$$$$$$$$$
ive seen my cable for $120 he said 240 eek! eek!
50 for the stainless piece that allows me to clamp to hold the cable. and 40 for the stainless bolt ujoint thingamajig.
I told him I wasnt made of money.
He knows Ive been spenindg tons of cash on parts(Like when I rebuilt my drive and when I had fuel problems)
SOOO he knows I Install really high end stereo systems.He said he would be calling me soon, And I said whatever you want!!

he rang me up and the total was $224!!!!!
:D :D
he gave me 30% off it took off about $90 bucks from the original cost.

Ok now its saturday....

I finish up the install(I was getting eatin alive form mosqutios friday night).
Then I head up my creek.

I go out to the bay and the steeering is good, until a little bit. The clamp wasnt holding the stainless piece in place (it was sliding from nut to nut)SOOO, I went to my friends jet ski place and found some black sand paper and cut two strips. I unbolted the clamp and wrapped the sand paper around the stainless pipe and bolted the clamp back on.

after this it ran flawless all weekend :D :D

now for my one tuning question...
look on the forums, im gonna post a topic about it..

thanks for the BIG T phil!!!

MOP
08-20-2002, 01:59 PM
Hey try to get your hands on a small S/S ball bearing about half the size of a BB. Open that clamp up and drill a small indent not a hole, half the ball thickness the same size then do like wise on the other contact surface try to get the fit tight. When you bolt it back it will not slip, that paper will let you down could be dangerous.