PDA

View Full Version : Sidewinders steering..RIPPED top off my bravo1.

fasttrucker
07-18-2003, 05:13 PM
Put a set of sidewinder steering shocks,Double rams by DREW MARINE.They are cool,if the steering breaks they keep your drive from going left or right.They increase speed by keeping the outdrive stable in the water.BUT....They tore the top off my bravo-1. :mad: We have to machine the holes,install a imco top/larger bolts.Anyway I thought I would post this for anyone else looking into this.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-18-2003, 06:42 PM
FTruck, after you called I looked at them in a magazine.
Didn't your 28ZX already have an external Laytham ram on it? Did you remove it.

In my uneducated mechanical opinion, I would worry about the redrilling holes for bigger bolts and a different cap, that would have a guy like me very concerned.
With all the bad luck you are having your boating reliability percentage is low.

Best of luck, keep us posted and post a picture of the damage.
Bryan

Shanghied Again
07-18-2003, 08:10 PM
Fast, Why would you buy that crap for your boat, When you look around and don't see any other Big Performance boat with them, are know one talking about them. That is when its a good time to stay away!

roadtrip se
07-18-2003, 08:24 PM
I was talking to another to go un-named board member about these things the other day and expressed my concerns. Steering is one of the costs of entry for high performance motoring, step up and get the real stuff or don't bother at all....

RT

fasttrucker
07-18-2003, 08:49 PM
YES,made a big mistake here. :( I bought these used but,like new the guy had them.Then took them off to go hyd. steering.They do work in the short time ive had them on.Bryan,no my boat came with nothing!Just standard bravo1 system,thats why with going to over 500hp, I thought I better add a steering safety device.I had a fishing boat in the 80,s.It had a johnson 235hp v-6.The bolt on the steering broke and I crashed into and destroyed a dock.Lucky i had my boat insurance with my homeowners policy. :D I checked and homeowners here in md doesnt offer boating anymore.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-18-2003, 10:55 PM
Ftruck, (I may catch hell for this), but awhile back on OSO, there was a post on Hyd Steering for less than $500 bucks, the guy who headed this new endevour is a retired police officer in the HRPA, his goal was to try to figure out how to manufacture and sell a decent competive nice looking steering system that was affordable to all.
After much research, trial and error and a $30K piece of machinary, many on the other board 2 years later are running a nice system for about $1200 bucks, last I heard.

Single BB in a 28ZX is why Donzi did not add ext steering (Mayfair/Laytham), a 60MPH boat stock with a 454 at best.

Keep us posted.
Bryan

Greg K
07-19-2003, 09:29 AM
FT, You said back in June a bracket had to be modified for something, was this what broke?
Trying to figure out how they would rip your top cap off. I've seen these steering stabilizers mounted on several alphas and bravos and haven't heard of top caps being ripped off. Most owners have been satisfied with this product.

I hear ya Todd..

fasttrucker
07-19-2003, 03:09 PM
Greg k.,I quess before,about the mounting brakets it was on the back of the boat by the trim tabs...they did a nice job ss plate thru bolted.This is where the steering rams mount to the back of the transom.BUT where they mount to the top of the bravo1 is where iam having issues.
MADPOODLE,We got teague marine to send a new push tube/rod and a new crane cam rocker to replace the one that flattened,still havent had time to install...SO iam still running the old stock 502 pusher that he put back in 10.7 hrs on the motor since rebuilt,everything seems to be ok. Ive gotten used to the 3 blade and can plane the boat ok without spinning it out.Iam dieing to go fast,but was told no more then 3600 rpm...Anyway had it up to 60mph at 4000rpm.oops. :D