PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating

Surfer
07-18-2003, 08:14 AM
I am having a corrosion problem with my 280 drive, it was suggested that the best way to deal was to sandblast and powder coat rather than paint. I have never seen any posts on this. Paint or Powder, and any other thoughts on alternates to sandblasting.

Walt. H.
07-18-2003, 10:15 AM
Powder coating is tougher then paint and can be made to look like polished metals> :p (coool). But requires heat for its final cure process. Something like over 250 or more oven deg's for about an hour or more, not sure. I imagine your seals,gasket or any wiring/plastics would be a little dry cook by then, so disassembly would be the thing to do first.I hope someone has more input on this for ya! Or talk to the shop owner that does it.

Walt...

mphatc
07-18-2003, 02:50 PM
I use powder coating all the time on engine components . . and have all of it done by Northeast Powdertech in Gilford, NH. 603-524-7972

Ed Valpey who owns and runs this business is sharp, and can work with you to acheive the correct color, finish and I ensure you the results will be perfect! He can efficiently mask all the surfaces that you need to protect for re-assembly.

Mario L.

TuxedoPk
07-21-2003, 02:43 AM
UV curing is an alternative to the high heat.

MOP
07-21-2003, 07:01 AM
Idea when I blast aluminum I use beach sand, it is rounded and smooth. It takes a little longer but is not a cruel to the metal.

Ralph Savarese
07-21-2003, 08:17 AM
Be careful when using sand in a blaster I have a close friend that got very sick from silica poisoning due to the sand breaking down I would recommend ceramic beads or glass.