PDA

View Full Version : Still another 22 prop question

Barry Phillips
07-17-2003, 09:43 AM
I recently ugraded to a 22, after looking for the right deal for almost 2 years. I began looking for a used one in December. In my internet search I found an 02 left over at the BoatStore in North East PA. After working with Gregory Savoia, the deal was done, which included trading in my beloved 18. Although I spoke with several dealers around the country most of whom were cutting some very fair deals, I decided on a 02, because I wanted the SS windshield. She is red and white with red carpet and a 496 Mag (375 HP) and B1 drive. The boat is optioned with Corsa Quick & Quite Plus, dual batteries, hour meter, deft finder, and Sony CD stereo, plus I added 4 slim line recessed cleats with polished bezels. To finish off the package the deal included a custom red Eagle tandom axle trailer with 4 bunks, chrome directional weels, aluminum steps and disk surge brakes. This rig is easier to load and unload than my 18.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, I have a prop question. At 5000 rpm the boat will run 70mph with 2 people aboard and about 45 gallons of fuel. The prop is a 23 pitch Mirage Plus. If the tach is accurate than the revs seem hi. The 496 Mag should run in the 46 to 4800 rpm range. I called Donzi and this is the prop that shipped with the boat . I looked at 454 package last year and it was set with a 25" Mirage Plus. I just read in this month's Power Boat that the 496 can be a little over propping because bcause it has good bottom end and mid-range torque and is happier in the 47 to 4800 rpm range. Thanks for any advice.

SO-SLO
PS my 18 is at the Boat Store in NE PA, you can also see it on Boattrader. This boat is in near perfect condidion, I was the only owner. The ad dose not mention that she is equipped with a Bravo 1 Performance drive, Slient Choice and well run a confirmed 66mph. If any of you guys are interested in giving her a good home and having a great boat, give Gregory Savoia a call at 814-725-6999 or check out www.theboatstoreeri.com, (http://www.theboatstoreeri.com,) Greg is a good guy. Pics. are posted on Boattrader under dealers.

boldts
07-17-2003, 10:28 AM
Barry,

You've got 2 options.

Work with the prop you have by having another 1" of pitch added to it at a local prop shop. 1" of pitch added usually drops the engine RPMs by as much as 200 RPMs. Advantage = less cost than option 2.

Buy a Turbo1 25" pitch prop from Turbo props. Web Page (http://www.turbo-props.com) Those who are running the Turbo prop on their 22 Classics will attest to how good this prop is on the boat. Me included. It has a smaller diameter than the Mirage Plus which really settles the boat down. In my opinion, the prop is almost as good as the Hydromotive Quad 4 in the ruff stuff with-out losing the speed that is sometimes associated to a 4 blade prop.

Georgia members Tomahawk and Big Grizzly introduced me to the prop and the difference in my 22 Classic's performance was just incredible! You can buy a Turbo in 1" increments so there is no need to have a prop shop bang on it if what you order doesn't work. Simply return the prop and get the size you need. Another thing about the Turbo prop is that what you get out of the box will be the best that is available. The companies strict standards eliminate the need to spend additional money because the prop needs to be labbed.

No, I don't work for Turbo. I just believe in spreading information about a product that is a quality piece and works on the 22 Classic. Good luck and let us know how you make out. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

ToonaFish
07-17-2003, 11:53 AM
The fussy PO's link works better here:

http://www.theboatstoreerie.com/usedboats.php

CONGRATULATIONS!

McGary911
07-17-2003, 12:27 PM
Barry, I'm in a similar situation. 502 Chev BB in the criterion. A touch over 400 hp and a mirage pro 23. I have to hold the boat back because i don't want to turn the motor too high. When i get the time, i'd like try a prop with a bit higher pitch. Maybe i can put my hands on 1 or 2 to test with, before buying. Id have mine reworked, but then theres no going back if i dont like the results. I've heard good about the Turbo props, and they'll be on my short list for sure. Whichever of it gets around to it first can post results.....It will be a good starting point for sure. Congrats and good luck with the new ride!!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-17-2003, 12:53 PM
Barry, CONGRATS!
Greg S. and Jack at "The Boat Store" are great folks, none better in my eyes.
Post us some pictures of your new rig for us to enjoy!
Bryan

Barry Phillips
07-18-2003, 10:14 AM
Thanks Bolts for the advice, I want to try a 25 Mirage on her first, maybe I can barrow one from the dealer I purchased the 18 from, they no longer have the Donzi franchise. This is ashame because the owner loves the Classics and has his own 22. The local dealer who picked up the franchise could care less and I tried to work with him on a 22, I was going to order, but had to pull out off the deal last year. He wanted more for an inventory boat identical to the one I was going to order, less the 496HO, after it had been demoed and sat in the sun all summer with the deck uncovered. The boat was in inventory for almost 10 months. I gave them every chance I could to at least come close to deal I got from the Boatstore. Ironically the red 22 I finally ended up buying went for the same price that he eventually sold it for with Eagle trailer included. Go figure.

Toona Fish thanks for getting that link right. The 18 deserves a good home, great ride.

McGary, when are we going to see that Criterian at Lake George, the picnic is in September, so get that beauty up to LG. Belamar is not that far.

Bryan, I agree, great guys, stright shooters.

I will post some pics of the 22 soon as I can.

Thanks
SO-SLO

CDMA
07-18-2003, 10:31 AM
McGary,

You spinning left or right?

C

McGary911
07-18-2003, 11:56 AM
Barry, I've been working on a better tow vehicle before i stray too far from home, i should be able to put something together soon. I figure lake G is about 5 hours from me. That's something i could swing. Didnt see anything about Lake George on the calender, Email me with some details. mcgary@infionline.net or mcgary@donzi.net Dont know if ican make it, but it will give me something to think about for sure!!

Chris, My TRS turns to the right.....Well, not the drive, but the prop...

Tearing up the Jersey Shore for now.. :D

CDMA
07-18-2003, 12:37 PM
Ahhhh sorry. I was going to say if you had a LH drive I had a bunch of props you could try.

Chris

McGary911
07-18-2003, 12:44 PM
No prob Chris..Thanks for trying tho....

Classic Robb
07-18-2003, 02:44 PM
I have the same boat (2003 22 w/ 496 mag Bravo 1) and have spoken to Turbo Props and they have suggested the 2+2TH (14 1/4 x 24). Due to damge on my original Mirage + I am currently running with a 14 5/8 x 23 Mirage. The boat does not feel the same as the mirage + so I am looking to upgrade.
Does anyone agree or disagree with the suggestion from turbo Prop to run a 4 blade 24 pitch prop?
Dans Discount Props sells this prop for $345.00.