PDA

View Full Version : The Big Roll

Chops
08-19-2002, 08:40 PM
OK- you guys don't hear from me much and I ask really easy questions so please bestow your usual wisdom if you can. (18 2+3 w/Bravo, SBC slightly breathed-on, bla bla bla). Problem: I have a 17 Vengeance, a 19 Vengeance and a 21 Mirage. All have the same problem since I put the Bravo in- hellacious roll when inputing ANY left turn above 30 MPH. Happens at a multitude of trim positions but is worse as the drive is dropped. Oh yes, boat loading would help- I figure a 300LB passenger on a 9ft plank off the starboard would do it! And you can screw with the skeg all day long. Would tabs help? Are tabs supposed to be used extensively on plane- I didn't think so but I'm out of ideas.

As always, thanks in advance!
BTW- love all the neat pics next to the member names. I'll see if I can thumb nail a digital of me heading left into the sunset at about a 75 degree angle.

EricG
08-19-2002, 09:18 PM
I don't have any experience with the 18's....so this is just an idea. But have you considered trying a prop with the opposite rotation, and running the controls backwards, just to see if it handles any better? I know you can do that with the Bravo.....

I think we really need to hear from the Dean of 18 Handling experimentation - CDMA....but I just thought I'd throw this out there....

EG

Ranman
08-19-2002, 09:22 PM
Chops, Welcome to the 18 2 + 3 Donzi. They all do it. It's just the way they are. If you try to turn too hard, the prop will lift out of the water, you'll lose your bite and the boat will slow down and level itself. I have tabs and can use them to some degree while turning to port, but it's too much work. The reason the boat rolls so easily to the left vs. the right has to do with prop rotation.

HP 600SC
08-19-2002, 09:47 PM
Yes, what Ranman said!!!!

Boat_Mon
08-19-2002, 10:39 PM
Chops,

I agree with these guys but also, make sure your trim anode isn't busted. When its gone, the left side of the boat feels like its REALLY Trimmed down. The Trim Anode is the one right behind the prop, looks like a little fin.

Sagbay32
08-19-2002, 10:44 PM
I ran a flat anode on my 18 with no problems.

My $.02

Scott Pearson
08-20-2002, 06:09 AM
Chops,
Yup...they all do it. I get yelled at all the time by Cathy when the grab rail is in the water...... :D

(NJ)Scott