PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tabs?

John W
10-10-2003, 02:04 PM
Board Once again I turn to you for advice!!
On my 2004 Sweet 16, the boat porposes from 2000 rpm to 3500 rpm. Will trim tabs correct this problem or shoilud I just cruise her at 4000 rpms and to hell with the trim tabs. Thanbks for the info on the props, i did order a Turbo 1, 14.25x22, should have it next week.

Thanks,
JW

Rootsy
10-10-2003, 02:20 PM
i don't have tabs on my 16... she doesn't porpoise but i have a high drive and a 4 blade also... with the GEN II she didn't porpoise once i got the props dialed in... BUT when it was new and stock... i felt like a dolphin most of the time, especially light on fuel...

i would first run the turbo and get a feel for it... after that i'd decide if i wanted tabs... they help level the boat out, especially with passengers and make the boat think it is a little longer than it actually is... and help keep the hull down if you are in heavy seas, etc... a worthwhile investment i just havn't quite gotten too yet... :rolleyes:

MOP
10-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Tabs do a lot for the 16 and a lot of other boats, it will eliminate the purposing and also when going real slow if you put them in the full down position the wander that V hulls have disappears, it will go true and straight. Just remember to pull them up before gassing it!

mattyboy
10-10-2003, 10:47 PM
this is strickly my opinion, I would try the prop thing as Jamie suggests, before I drilled the transom, and If I were to go for tabs on a 16 I would go for Kplanes for some extra running surface.
I have tabs on my 16 and they help being I don't have trim on the drive(volvo) but some long k planes would make her ride "Bigger" MY 2 cents

Matty

ToonaFish
10-10-2003, 11:51 PM
Dang, is it 2004 already?

Bunches,

Celene "today's comforting thought is that everyones later model boat just lost another grand or so in value... those of you with ancient wrecks can smile a little more smuggly at yours' appreciation."

Sam
10-12-2003, 07:12 PM
I have tabs on my 16 and love them. They are great in slopy water or if you have an odd number of people in the boat.

Sam

Tabman II
10-13-2003, 01:22 PM
mattyboy,

I am Thomas and I work for Bennett Marine in the Client Service Department.

Please tell me what size trim tabs you are currectly running, since you may be able to increase the trim planes a bit larger without drilling anymore holes in your transom!

I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
MJ Thomas
Bennett Marine, Inc.
Client Services
trimtabs@earthlink.net
www.bennetttrimtabs.com (http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com)