PDA

View Full Version : Winterise Question

Grip-it
10-09-2003, 03:48 PM
I really like Member "bgagne" topic of Winterising Simplified posted 11/8/02. I think that is just awsome. Does anybody else just run anti-freeze through the engine for winterization?
Afterall, freezing is the real eneny ???
What so you think??
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">code:<hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006006#000001 </pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Greg Maier
10-09-2003, 03:56 PM
I did the same thing last winter. Works like a charm. Use the schedule 40 PVC pipe, it has a perfect fit on a 4 inch exhaust pipe. I put multiweight oil in and started the engine and brought it up to operating temps once a week or so. This kept the batteries charged, and avoided all the other evils of having an engine sit for 5 months without being started. The only problem is that you need to frequently replenish the antifreeze, as it seems to boil off pretty fast when the engine gets up to temperature.

MOP
10-09-2003, 10:13 PM
I like that setup but I can get a lot of snow and store outside tarped with a small electric heater that draws outside air, kicks on at freezing keeps boat and nice and dry. So I do the old standard oil change and fog out, pull the drive and store it and the bat inside, trickle the bat off and on.

BigGrizzly
10-09-2003, 11:28 PM
I have a closed cooling system and just drain the exchanger and exhaust and I'm done

smoothie
10-10-2003, 10:15 AM
Yes I run antifreeze thru also and do the same thing without all the plumbing,I use a garden hose with a Y connector and a 5 gallon bucket.I start the motor and and watch the temp gauge till its 160 and the thermostat is open then switch from the water facet to the bucket and watch for the green water to come out.