PDA

View Full Version : Found a new bar...

AVickers
08-19-2002, 11:56 AM
Well, since the "flood" in our area, I've found a new sandbar in my lake -- go figure. I was pulling my kid on a wakeboard in the middle of the upper reaches of the lake and struck bottom -- kind of softly. The "hit" lasted about 10 yards. Kicked up a whole bunch of bottom...

Pulled up the foot and inspected it. Slightly broken skeg and nashed prop -- cleavers don't like bottom contact. :mad:

Started limping home and she started to overheat. DAMN! Can nothing go right???

Shut down and raised the foot again -- I've got a cone w/ low-water pickup. I couldn't tell if the water intake ports were plugged, but I stuck a key in each of the 12 holes just to be sure.

Put the foot down, cranked her and found water coming out of the exhaust -- but not much. Temp started up almost immediately. Reluctant to tow for miles and miles, so I spooled her up to a faster pace just to see what would happen -- hoping some speed would force water through the front-mounted intake ports on my foot. Much more water bagan to pour through the exhausts and there was no great vibration (I guess all the blades were bent evenly).

Water temp went down so I proceeded home.

As soon as I got into No Wake Zone and slowed down the temp started up again... Apparently worse than simply some plugged up intake ports.

Pulled the drive down at home and the impeller looked like the ends were melted, but not missing. The pump housing looks fine.

My guess is that the water intake ports were plugged with mud/sand for a while and as I was "limping" the impeller melted down. Impeller replacement should take care of it???? :confused:

Any other thoughts about what might be wrong here? I'm going to get the skeg and prop fixed this week, and put the foot back together, but I just thought I'd ask before putting her back in the water and trying things out...

Donzi Blackhawk
08-19-2002, 01:23 PM
Sorry about your luck. How hot did your engine get? Sounds like you did a good job of trying to keep the temp down. If it were my boat I would be sure to pull all the drain plugs on the block and manifolds, just like if you were going to winterize it. Pay particular attention to the amount of sand which may have accumulated at the bottom of the block. When you pull the bottom block drains and water rushes out you should be fine. If you pull the drains and no water comes out, take a small screwdriver or a pick and push it up into the drain, twist it around a bit to break up any sand blocking the drain plug. Water should flow. Follow the same procedure for the mainfolds. Good Luck!

Bryant

AVickers
08-19-2002, 05:17 PM
Damage Report:

1. Skeg -- $150 for a new, re-contoured skeg.
2. Old prop -- $120 to "fix" my 22p cleaver
3. "New" (to me) Prop -- $200 -- scored a 23p Mirage Plus in new condition w/ a new hub. (Hope it's not too much wheel for my setup...)
4. New impeller -- $24. Quicksilver unit. The Sierra unit (what I had before) was $20. As I looked at them carefully, the Mercruiser unit had thinner webs. Should move a bit more water per revolution.
6. Keeping an old Donzi running -- Priceless! (I just wish I had a Bravo III on it.)

Everything should be ready by Friday. Just in time to splash it on Saturday. :D

ToonaFish
08-19-2002, 05:52 PM
Quite a cover charge you paid at that new bar! Glad everything is fixable... and priceless indeed.

Bunches,

Celene "Melt down? No, that's our normal humidity"

harbormaster
08-19-2002, 06:17 PM
Al,

What lake were you on? Are you going to make the Possum Kingdom Shindig?

AVickers
08-19-2002, 10:37 PM
I was on Lake Austin -- ten minutes to splash it from my house. I was up lake looking for smooth water for the wakeboarder in the house...

(And the comment about the Bravo III... I guess if I had a BIII or a Blackhawk, I'd be fixing two props... I kind of sighed when my prop guy gave me the price to fix my stuff. He pointed to a set of munched Volvo Duoprop props and said, "You shoulda heard what this guy said when I told him how much these babies were going to cost...")

I've got Possum Kingdom on my radar, but I'll have to see how my schedule pans out...

Moody Blu'
08-19-2002, 10:50 PM
Avickers what year boat do you have and what model drive?

From what ive learned if you have the volvo, be happy, they supposedly are stronger then the bravo... wink

AVickers
08-20-2002, 07:42 AM
I'm running an '86 22 Classic: Big Block Mag w/ AlphaHD. Crescent Cone installed w/ low water pickup. Every time I ride, I whince; waiting for my drive to break. Too much power for the drive.

I used to have a '76 18 Classic: Hot Rod SB Chevy w/ a 280 Volvo. After I installed hydraulic steering, my old Volvo was superior to the Alpha in every way -- except for the availability of props.

I've seen late model 22 Classics w/ Volvo SX and DX drives... It would seem to me that this would be the combination to have. Another good combination for an older boat might be a BB Chevy w/ a late King Cobra (92??)

gjohns6896
08-20-2002, 09:13 AM
I've got a '92 18 with the King Cobra, but I am running a SBC. Sorry, but it is STILL bulletproof!

George

roadtrip se
08-20-2002, 05:23 PM
Possum Kingdom is long and deep.

The only bars you will find are the ones on the shore line that you want to find!

Hope to meet you and see your boat at the end of
September...

Todd