PDA

View Full Version : Winter Donzi Work?

GEOO
10-09-2003, 07:37 AM
OK, What are your winter plans? Motor mods, Paint, outdrive, maintance, repairs, new stuff.

Here's my list:

1) I'm in the process of removing the engine and gas tank (bladder) to flip the boat to straighten and paint the bottom. Sharpen everything up!!
2) Repair one running strike.(seams to have water in it?) and straighten and sharpen the others.
3) Glass the deck to the stringers in the gas tank area and glass the deck to the hull in a few areas in the bow.
4) Gelcoat engine compartment.
5) Maybe install Boost and Fuel Pressure gauge in place of the Amp and Fuel level gauge, move these gauges to the kick panels by the passenger or drivers knee??
6) Reroute fuel tank vent hose and or add water trap. I think my vent lets water in to my fuel tank in rough water??
7) Repipe intercooler air tubes to blower and throttle body and/or add larger one.

Any ideas ?? wink

Donzigo
10-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Sounds like a busy winter.

Me:

a. Install the new fuel tank being built by JTR her in St. Pete. this weekend, hopefully.

b. Install interior on the 33 that should be ready next week.

c. Ride around on the "BEA"S NEST"-28ZF & my 22 & 33 while laying back Corona's with John Mitchell :rolleyes: ...........listening to his never ending chatter of witch hunts , wive's tales , boat horror storys , Donzi "next boat" dreams , jokes , excuses for the Tampa Bay Bucs :o , past experiences having to do with females wink , other out & out lies, & more endless chatter........which gives me plenty of smiles on my face to last the long winter here in St. Pete. (Jan. 10th to Febuary 10th).
:cool:

Luca45
10-09-2003, 03:18 PM
First winter i've had the boat--Any thoughts on a good product to remove antifouling bottom paint? The drive is also painted, do you think i should worry about that too?

Luca

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
10-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Luca:

Try oven cleaner. I used in on my raceboat to remove the painted on numbers. It removed the paint and didn't hurt the gelcoat.

Try it on a small area first. If that works okay, do small patches at a time. I say it didn't hurt the gelcoat, but then again, I didn't leave it on there very long either. That's why I recommend doing only small areas at a time.
Of course, wear gloves and eye protection.

FR :p

10-09-2003, 04:59 PM
New interior and steering wheel:
http://www.donzi.net/photos/Barrelback_Interior.jpg
Yuck!

Rootsy
10-09-2003, 05:57 PM
notta thing :) FOR ONCE... well at least with the 16... she be FINISHED! well cept for a few bottom... ahem... modifications wink

now where did i put that barrelback wink guess i need to see how good a negotiator i am :D

MOP
10-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Since Geoo brought up geling the engine hole what is the concensus on gel or paint?

knee deep
10-09-2003, 06:20 PM
Interlux Bilgekote

Donzigo
10-09-2003, 08:05 PM
DITTO: Interlux Bilgekote

Donzigo Jr. just did his 22 with it. what a nice job and strong finish too.

BigGrizzly
10-09-2003, 11:46 PM
Change the cap and rotor on the Criterion and finish the other motor and make a new hatch for it.

Ralph Savarese
10-10-2003, 06:45 AM
Geoo,
How did you determine the strake has water in it? Is there wood in there?
I have been battling this for years and can't devise a way to prevent it from having stress crackes where the lower strake meets the hull bottom on the outside.It is right below the stringer inside. so there is no access to reinforce the hull.
I was wondering if shelfs or ribs to the outside of the hull would help stop the stringers from flexing maybe that is what is causing it?
Ralph

Grip-it
10-10-2003, 08:26 AM
Yea boys,

I'm going to re-chrome all the riggings, new rub-rail, new seats, re-calibrate dash guages. When spring comes, she will be ready!

AVickers
10-10-2003, 11:02 AM
I plan to swap out my CLE Alpha for a DPX Volvo which will include a new helm.

While I have the engine out, I'll probably diamond plate and regel the engine bay -- adding some tiedowns, storage bins and a dual battery setup. (Anybody got pics of a setup they like???)

While I'm up under the dash futzing w/ the helm, I'll probably replace the dash panel w/ a custom, turned Aluminum piece and upgrade all the old VDO gauges w/ Gaffrigs -- maybe even install a GPS Speedo.

I may also add some pop-up cleats -- depends on the time and funds available...

mikev
10-10-2003, 12:06 PM
getting some upolstery work done and either upgrades to the v6 or a 350 transplant depends on how much the wife will let me spend. :D :D

GEOO
10-10-2003, 03:58 PM
Ralph,
Water drips out of the crack for weeks after the boat's been in the garage. Once I flip the hull I'll drill some holes and see what I find?
How hard would it be to Gelcoat the bottom of the hull??

Ralph Savarese
10-10-2003, 04:48 PM
Geoo,
I used linear poly urethane from Detco Sterling.
they are the only ones that will say it is good for below the waterline. 3 years so far holds up great other than the cracks.
Ralph

MOP
10-10-2003, 11:38 PM
I think gelling the hull is the way to go, I agree there are some really good paints, but in the long run I feel the gel holds up much better. The newer stuff is quite flexible yet holds a really good luster.

Shanghied Again
10-12-2003, 09:46 AM
Winter Projects? Get the 16 Outboard finished. I had enough of 65MPH its tim to make the 26 Wake Up.. 750hp will work nicely so its time for head work the ProCharger to come out of the box and the new gears to go in the drive Estimates should be about 85MPH...

terry
10-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Not much going on here.......

http://www.donzi.net/photos/x18bare.JPG

http://www.donzi.net/photos/x18rafter.JPG

tmdog
10-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Ah, wintertime. Best time for all those put off chores during the summer fun.
1. new carpet
2. new interior
3. pull engine and fix that nasty oil leak.
4. install new engine coupler while engine is out.
5. paint bilge (interlux b-kote)
If I have any extra time- a few suds.

GEOO
10-12-2003, 03:54 PM
Frank,
What supercharger M1 or M3 ? Which intercooler? AW324 or AW504? Who's doing the work?
I'll gladdly give a hand lifting the deck off the 16 one weekend...

Ted,
New project look's good. As you know the deck is two part's. My front section, (foot rest area and ski storage area glass part), Tabbing broke free from the main deck part. Just a note to check yours. The front section is tab/glassed to the main deck on the side's, this is were my boat was weak. I put a drain hose on the rear ski locker drain holes so water would not leak on top of the gas tank. I put hoses on the engine hatch gutter holes to so the water would not leak onto the engine.

terry
10-12-2003, 04:12 PM
GEOO,
mine seems to be ok in that area, it is screwed and glassed together there.
Thank's
Ted

Shanghied Again
10-12-2003, 05:10 PM
Geo. Its the M3 with the bigger intercooler, I am going to run a 7 boost. I am sending the heads out to be done, I will be doing the install. I am going to install the gas tank early spring in the 16 so I will give you a call.
Thanks

boxy
10-13-2003, 10:13 AM
Shanghied Again:
Winter Projects? I had enough of 65MPH its tim to make the 26 Wake Up.. 750hp will work nicely so its time for head work the ProCharger to come out of the box and the new gears to go in the drive Estimates should be about 85MPH... The worst kept secret in Donzi-land is now official ...... :D

Good luck Frank

10-13-2003, 08:56 PM
Okay, add a carb rebuild, and a tune-up to the list. The engine started stumbling on Saturday during the last run for the season, so I pulled the carb before I put it away for the winter.

terry
10-14-2003, 05:41 AM
Scott, strange but it had a volt meter and an ammeter.....and I beleive them to be original.

mphatc
10-15-2003, 05:54 AM
Corsican gets a new fuel tank, new Faria gauges, new 347 Ford and a newer Volvo with trim . . while it's apart I'll refinish the engine area with paint , reinforce the deck where there are minor hairline stress cracks and also replace the wood in the transom . .
Question, is there a larger fuel tank that just "plugs in" that will fit a Corsican , or do I need to have one built? I also want to move the tank towards the stern ~ 8". Is this advisable considering that previously this boat did not have trim?

Now how do I find time for the 22' i just bought????

Yikes . . what if my wife finds out about the extensive projects I have ??

MPHATC

Surfer
10-15-2003, 07:20 AM
I plan to wakeboard more.