PDA

View Full Version : flat engines????

HyperDonzi
08-19-2002, 07:03 AM
has anyone ever ran one in a boat? it seems like it would be better in one of the 16 or 18 classics because it is not as tall as a V style engine=a lower cg. never seen one in a boat yet, just wondering what are peoples thoughts on them and marine use.

MOP
08-19-2002, 07:30 AM
I have thought quite a bit about adapting a hyper Jap V6, one of the late ones that make over 200HP, in a 16 I think the lighter weight would balance the boat out better and make it a fair bit faster. All my buddies give me a rash of Doo Doo about running Jap junk. What flat engine are you thinking of.

HyperDonzi
08-19-2002, 07:46 AM
i am not thinking of swapping out engines, just wondering what everyone though of them, if i had to swap it out for a flat engine, i would take one out of a new subaru WRX 227 turbocharged horsepower.

for a second there, i though i had something you couldnt answer....

Formula Jr
08-19-2002, 08:01 AM
You mean like a pancake engine. Had one of those in my Type III fastback VW. Man that was a great car. Third gear really rocked. But I had electrical problems so I had to sell it at a loss.

oldLenny
08-19-2002, 10:26 AM
Having been there,done that (the VW thing) making 200 hp is not hard and not all that expensive but I don't know how you are going to get 300 odd ft. lbs of torque out of one and run it all day long basically "up-hill"...I don't think it would like that...

TRU-JACK
08-19-2002, 11:09 AM
Maybe the VW TDI (turbo direct injection diesel) engine. It's an incredible motor and can be tuned to 200hp and definately over 300 ft/lbs of torque, and it makes this torque at 1900 - 2000 rpm. I have a specially tuned tdi, that rips my little car, and still gets over 50mpg. wink

McGary911
08-19-2002, 11:10 AM
Gotta admit, I really like a flat 6. Thats one of the reasons im mcgary911 on this board. I have a 78 911 sc which ive run on a bunch of racetracks as far west as mid ohio. One of the things that makes a flat motor so smooth, is the fact that the pistons are in perfect sync 180 degrees apart, so they cancel out each other's vibration. As for torque and running all day....its easy to get a ton of power and torque out of a porsche engine, as hop up parts have been available since 65. As for reliability, a normally aspirated engine is pretty bullet proof. They were even putting 911 engines in airplanes for a bunch of years. Only reason they stopped was because the motors cost $$$$$$$....Thats the same factor that probably has kept them out of boats.

AVickers
08-19-2002, 11:35 AM
An air-cooled engine under the hatch might be a problem... That would rule out older Porsches, VWs, Continental and Herculese engines.

I'd think a newer Porsche, a Subaru or Ferarri boxer might be the ticket -- although WC exhaust logs might be hard to find...

Sagbay32
08-19-2002, 12:32 PM
Air ...no problem, just get one of BeeRocks high performance blower fans and you would be all set. wink

EricG
08-19-2002, 02:22 PM
Didn't Porsche make a High performance marine motor in the late 80's? I seem to remember a picture of it in Muscleboats? I'll get out the book when I get home this evening and scan it if it's in there....

EG

HyperDonzi
08-19-2002, 03:34 PM
i know that porsche had a front engine/watercooled in the 80's that didnt sell because it was the first front engined porsche (i think i remember correctly)

Forrest
08-19-2002, 03:51 PM
EricG, yes they did . . . Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was based on the 928 (V-8)engine.

Flat engines are great, but "V" engines fit very well between stringers in a boat. It may be a tough fit with a flat engine.

Moody Blu'
08-19-2002, 04:36 PM
sagbay, I dont think everyone here knws me by beerock...

on topic, I woudl go with the toyota supra straight 6 you can get more power out of that motor then most comparable straight 6's and it wont cost you an arm and a leg like the porsche will.

if you decide to get the toyota straight 6 turbo engine (jfz300e)-or something like that.
you can get more then 900HP out of it with a turbo and cam swap. and a couple other goodies.

EricG
08-19-2002, 05:12 PM
That's starting to ring a bell Forrest. I'll go scan the page anyway....just for fun.

As an Aside....by brother had a 928 - Put over 300,000 miles on it while changing the oil exactly every 50,000 miles eek! ...still ran great when he sold it.

-EG

gjohns6896
08-19-2002, 06:00 PM
Honestly, if the Inline-6 fits okay in the engine compartment <my Jeep has the same engine>, why not slap in the V-10 from a Viper? 500 HP AND 500 ft lbs of torque!

:D eek! :p

THAT is a motor.

George

harbormaster
08-19-2002, 06:19 PM
There are folks Marinizing the subaru pancake motors for smaller boat applications.

Formula Jr
08-19-2002, 06:39 PM
Well now that theres a Harley/Donzi, somebody ought to put a couple shovel heads in a 14. You could do the whole interior in leather, tassles on the steering wheel, big butt saddle seat for the pilot and a tiny pillion seat for the passenger then chrome the bejezzes out of everything else.

ToonaFish
08-19-2002, 06:57 PM
Just so long as I don't have to ask anyone for a ride on their soft tail...

boldts
08-19-2002, 07:46 PM
I remember the Porsche powered boat. I got to see it the one time I visited Thunder Boat Row. It was at the Magnum factory. It was a silver,gray metalflake with plexiglass engine covers. If I remember right, I believe it was also a twin engine boat.

Gritz
08-19-2002, 09:06 PM
Could be I need to change to "Porsche if by land, Porsche if by sea".
There are really quite a few good 911, 964, 993, 996, etc. engines available at resonable prices. The explosion to crunch ratio is really pretty low for the mark.
My guess is a good 928 V8 or a late model 996 (twin turbo the better but how does that work with the exhaust) water cooled flat six would be a good try, especially in a 16 to 22 classis.
Oh well, I can dream. Guess I'll settle for "Porsche if by land" for now.
Stan

oldLenny
08-19-2002, 10:00 PM
Madpoodle, not a high performance manufacturer, but GlasPly was running BMW's and BMW legs in 1979-1981-ish...

The year was 1985, when the 928 motor was put into a "PORCHE" offshore boat. It was silver, (gun metal grey) twins, can't remember the drives and I haven't a clue what ever happened to it. Seem to remember it having a moulded hull deck joint, portholes and a yellow interior. It was the same era a the first year of cell phones. They cost about $1500 a month then and weighed about 3 pounds...I read about it in a "GQ" magazine.

GQ doesn't seem to have archives so I can't find it to post.

Rick
08-20-2002, 08:47 AM
Boxer 6 Cylinders are the most naturally balanced (Frequency)of all engine designs. The latest design 996 incorporates water cooling in 3.4L and 3.6L trim. The turbos are somthing like 460 hp 450lbft and the new ones may be pushing 500hp. But I am sure you are talking big $$$ 50 to 70K a motor befor mariniztion(sp). The Subaru boxer is killer I would be looking at some torque numbers though. Torque makes boats go fast. We put a Subaru inline 4 cylinder inboard in a pontoon boat once what a ride a. Boxers are great motors. I have raced modified ones in 911s for 7 years super dependable. Rick

Forrest
08-20-2002, 09:28 AM
Scott, didn't Cigarette put a pair of BWM 220HP six-cylinder sterndrives in a 20? BMW used to advertise that their drives, which were built by Hurth Gear Werks, were so tough you could, though not recommended for obvious reaons, shift from forward to reverse at full throttle. The drive unit used cone clutchs.

Kent Perroux
08-20-2002, 10:21 AM
Nice thoughts, but it is torque, not HP that boats need.

Viper v-10 yes
Ferrari Boxer V-12 (mmm, maybe in a light tunnel)
Porsche? Maybe the newer big cube version in a 16.

Give me one of those combination supercharged AND turbocharged diesel fire pump motors....