PDA

View Full Version : 22ft classic

winston
07-16-2003, 01:11 PM
Hello everyone I am looking at buying a 22ft classic, I have been in love with the boat as long as I can remember, I would like to know if there has been any substancial changes to the boat scince 95, I ask because I am deciding between a 95 with a brand new 502 or a 2003 with a 502, obviously the 95 is less money, am I gaining anything buy buying the new boat other then the fact that it is new? Also the 95 does not seem to have the Donzi decal on the side of the boat, is that normal? Is it normal for someone to blown an engine and have to put in a new one? Great site and I hope to be lucky enough to own one of these great boats soon~~

Hotspare
07-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Welcome Winston !!!!!!!!!!! Glad to see your looking at the right Boat ,,,,, No substantial changes to the deck and hull during those years at all ........ Updated engines, gauges, and windscreen on the (04) is about it.... The 454 & 502 are now 496mag & 496magHO ....... That could make a difference for you,,,,,,,, I don't know???? It's hard to tell the difference between a well maintained 95 and a new 03 ........... I usally buy used because they always look like new to me ..... Hope I'm not adding wood to the fire here !!!!!!!!! Good Luck........ Bruce.

winston
07-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the help, what will that boat top out at on a calm lake? I have been getting conflicting idea's

McGary911
07-16-2003, 02:20 PM
Of course the 85 will cost less, but the boat is 18 years old. Engines will blow, depending on the care the owner gave it, and how he operated it. If there's a fresh 502 in there now, it shouldnt be much of a concern. Just make sure it's a marine motor. Things like the casting (freeze) plugs, and j tubes on the carb are marine specific. Biggest concern i would have with the older boat would be the drive. There is a very good chance that it is an mercruiser alpha drive, which gets very iffy when approaching 350 hp, which isn't tough to get out of a 502. Make sure the transom and stringers are checked for moisture too. The new boat will have a Bravo, which is beefier to handle the power. New boat will also have a warantee. Good luck...keep us posted..and of course, welcome to the board!

Hotspare
07-16-2003, 02:33 PM
The 454 mag should top out in the high 60"s while the 502 in the low 70's with you and half tank of gas ..... Could see better in a 1-2 foot chop ......... Note: these are indicated speeds and they will vary ..... GPS is more accurate .......... My 22 with a 454mag mpi 385 hp, indicates 70 with just me and a half tank ....... That's a lotta wind !!!!!!!!!! Bruce.

Ranman
07-16-2003, 03:07 PM
FreightDog is correct. A 454MAG (385HP) should run 66-69 and a 503 (415HP) runs 70-73. This is actual speed. The speedo may read higher than this. The 496 and 496 HO are 365HP and 425HP respectivly. I'm sure you can get the idea on speeds with those engines.

In my honest opinion, if I had the resources, I woud go with the new boat. There is nothing wrong with the 95 model year, but I would be leary of a boat with engine replacements etc... Doesn't make it bad, I would just be leary. A new boat is exactly that, new. There is no history and you know exactly how it's been treated and where its been. If you buy used, get it surveyed.

The 496 packages that come in the new Donzis are sweet. These propulsion packages are head and shoulders above the old 454/502's. You get closed cooling, SmartCraft 555 and a ton of other features. They are nice. Good luck with your quest.

winston
07-16-2003, 03:15 PM
Wow, great respones, thanks everyone, I am leaning on going with the new one, it is a black and white with a 496 and a bravo one drive, the asking is 70k Canadian I guess this is reasonable I don't have much to compare with as this is the only dealer in my area. Thanks for all your help and I will keep you posted!!!

hottub
07-16-2003, 03:48 PM
Is that the Limited Edition at Hot Knots with the 496 HO? If so that package is the way to go unless you are an engine guy and are looking to do your own modifications, upgrades, repairs etc. That package right out of the box should run 70-74 mph. I was recently faced with the same predicament and went the new route. And, as Ranman stated, it is new so you don't have to think twice about how it was previously used, run, replaced etc. Also, if I remember correctly, that boat at Hot Knots is a 2001 and has the Z-care which is not available on the '03 going forward. Good luck!

cummins
07-17-2003, 07:24 AM
winston:
I am deciding between a 95 with a brand new 502 or a 2003 with a 502, I assume you mean that the 2003 has a 496 in it? Also there are 2 dealers around Toronto (were are you boating?)... $70,000 certainly seems fair and is usually the end of the season price. The big difference between the old and new is the gauges and windshield as mentioned. I personally like the old windshield…but am partial to new gauges. The 95-gauge package is 2 behind...which isn't a concern since you can have dash updated. Decals should be on 95.
:D

Donzigo
07-17-2003, 08:14 AM
All valid post.

whether you're a guy who likes to get his hands dirty or just buy & go makes a difference inyour new/old choice.

Welcome aboard!