PDA

View Full Version : hull cleaner advice wanted?

fasttrucker
08-18-2002, 09:22 PM
brought boat back today from the poker run/thunder on the bay/jackson marina.boat was in the water from friday to this weds.6 days.looks like a bath tub stain. eek! should i buy the stuff they sell at boats us?. :confused: the pulley on the power stearing is fixed,new belt.i ran the boat hard today farlee creek,hart miller is. then middle river to kent narrows,red eye dock bar sunday party!harris crab house,yum.saw only one other donzi nice white classic,raced a couple of sunsations,they lost>yes! wink

Greg Maier
08-18-2002, 09:38 PM
The stuff they sell in West Marine called EZ Off works great. Be careful, it is some really nasty stuff. Use gloves and eye protection. What model Donzi do you have? Kent Narrows is also my home turf. I was planning on being at Red Eye's today, but technical difficulties kept the boat on the lift.

abelchinewalker
08-18-2002, 11:21 PM
On-Off by Mary-Kate works well, but it is also very toxic so be careful.

Donnie

Shanghied Again
08-19-2002, 04:54 AM
Bill, I use On and Off wear gloves when applying, I use a paint Brush. Keep your trailer protected and wet at all times, If this stuff hits a galvanized trailer it will turn it black! Not so bad on a alluminum trailer. Just make sure you wash it off quick on the trailer, Let it sit for about a minuete on the boat hull then wash off.

33 Daytona
08-19-2002, 05:19 AM
fasttrucker,

I boat in the Missiouri River (the dirtyist river in america) the and have that stain look every weekend. What I do is get out the rotary sander with a wool pad and a polishing compound and buff it out. I did that at the beginning of the year and then waxed the hull and now all I have to do is wash the hull with soap and its gone. good luck

HyperDonzi
08-19-2002, 06:04 AM
have you tried a power washer?

abelchinewalker
08-19-2002, 07:21 AM
One little note, keep it away from your steering and trim lines. I've seen muratic acid damage braided lines with minimal exposure.

fasttrucker
08-19-2002, 07:34 AM
greg i have 28zx-98,single 502 red+white,the boat is the photo boat from the 98 catalog.boat is in a rack in middle river.do u know jerry+paul they have a red classic"hot rod" we should get together for a local donzi run. :cool: will be off the net till next weekend got to run to st. paul mn today.

RickR
08-19-2002, 11:31 AM
If the stain is from tannins (brown water) the Boat U/S or Starbright Hull Cleaner works great.I use latex gloves, safty glasses, long sleeve shirt and a sponge.

Sam
08-19-2002, 03:22 PM
I would stay away from the strong stuff, it may harm your gell. Try some 505 from ZEP, you can get it at Home Depot. You cam also try soft scrub or Tide. I have used all three on the mother ship when I have stain issues.

Sam

RH
08-21-2002, 04:06 PM
This may sound crazy, but it has worked for me on a lot of boats that I have owned over the years. I buy the $2.69 bottle of heavy duty toilet bowl cleaner and a sponge. I beleive that Muratic acid 23% was the main ingredient. Squirt a little on the sponge and wipe on the area affected. I have only used it on the bottom where I had some stain issues and the gel coat was white in color and the stain was a light brown. It removed it after about a minute of soaking. I covered the trailer, and hosed it off immediately. Cleaned my Boston Whalers and was really impressed with the results. I then buffed and waxed the boat bottoms as best as possible. These were boats that I bought used. I have never had to do this to a new boat, but I would want to keep the cleaner off of decals just to be safe.
RH

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-21-2002, 04:33 PM
It has been my experience with the old boat that once you use On&Off you are a slave to it, I have not used anything but wax on my boat, yes the hull too (not worried about the theory off speed loss at 65mph.....). Soap on and rinse everytime even after a few days in the water.
I hope your getting her dial in FTRUCKER.
Talk to you soon,
Bryan

G - FORCE 88
08-21-2002, 05:48 PM
BY FAR THE BEST THING TO USE IS "WEST MARINE" RUST REMOVER . I USE IT ALL THE TIME ON MY 30 FT OFFSHORE BOAT. IT WORKS WONDERS GET THE HULL BRIGHT WHITE AGAIN . :D

tailwind
08-21-2002, 08:28 PM
Hey Guys:

I say this in loose form as we all know who will wash the car or boat!

The very highest industrial compound available is presently labeled as "Rig Wash".
Currently, it may be available in quantities as small as 5 gallon pails. This when mixed properly would equate to over 100 gallons, It is used not only in shipyards,but in any industrial envirioment. Fairly Alkaline in nature, it is accordingly water soluable.

Typical uses would include: engine bays etc., can be used overal when properly diluted. For extreme water stains, follow up with a good rinse and polish.

This again is a professional product, and should not be used without prior and proper demonstation of comparable expertise exihibited herewith.

Randy

MOP
08-21-2002, 08:51 PM
My 2 cent's one thing I think should not be done is to use abrasives of any kind IE: compound, wire wool, 800 wet ETC. Remember you are Removing gel coat also. There were alot of good products mantioned above that will get the stuff off. I do use the ON OFF its quick (use rubber gloves). I hose the trailer before and after I use it, it the eats the galvanizing. But I have to wax afterwards, if the wax coating is fresh most of it will wash off. I was told it does not stick to First Choice wax, does anyone know if that is true?

cummins
01-20-2003, 01:49 PM
There is a product called Blast Off by Ship Shape works like a charm and seems to be what a lot of Marine Detail Shops are using :D

BillR
01-20-2003, 02:02 PM
The BEST hull cleaner ever!!! (I've tried them all) is Ringo. Safe to use, no gloves, goggles or resperator needed, won't remove wax.

Email me and I'll forward your info to who I buy it from.

This stuff is the best, and one bottle will clean my 34' boat 3 times with some left over.

knee deep
01-20-2003, 09:59 PM
Support your south florida donzi owners buy on and off gel. Poodle keep a close eye on sales we may have to close the tidy bowl re-bottling plant before the lease ends this month!

MOP
01-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Scot the Habba Masta came up with the best thing ever, works so good its almost unbelievable. McGuires mag wheel cleaner, no gloves needed and it does not rot the trailer like most everything else.

Try It its a yippie