PDA

View Full Version : Closed Cooling Systems

rustnrot
10-07-2003, 08:36 AM
aka FWC or Fresh Water Cooling. Personally, I like the merits of FWC in boats. Better temp control, no silt/salt ingested into the engine, and no panic if the temperature suddenly drops to drain the block. At my limited time at this board, I have yet to see it mentioned in any of the Classic Series. Is it because it is like talking about windshields? I imagine none of the older ones ever came with it, but how about the newer ones, was/is it offered as an option? Or is adding a few pounds, no matter the advantage, strictly taboo?

Morgan's Cloud
10-07-2003, 08:47 AM
I don't think this topic will generate the same level of emotion as the insidious windshield discussion or foaming in gas tanks.. more of a generic topic if you ask me..
Old engine in my Donzi did'nt have FWC and the new one probably won't either .. an issue of space more than anything else.. However I do have it in the Magnum (with 502).Well worth it for many reasons including ease of winterization because it should be filled with an anti-freeze mixture)not that we have freezing winters here.
One nice plus is if you have the raw water impeller disintegrate it is a lot easier to get it out of a FWC system... been there wink

Rootsy
10-07-2003, 08:59 AM
do some searching of the archives... closed cooling is near and dear to a few folks and their donzis... :)

Barry Phillips
10-07-2003, 09:02 AM
FWC is fairly new to Mercuriser stern drives now available with the 496 Mag and HO motors. This is a hybrid system with raw water cooled exhuast manifoids and heat exchanger. I have a 496mag in my 22 and I still sweat cold snaps. Mercury provides what they call a single point drain system, which includes a silly soccer ball pump which supposed to pressurize the system. It falls apart in short order. A good hand pump, compressor, or electric tire inflater is much better, just don't over pressurize it. The manual states that this system is not to be used for winterizeing, just to extend your boating season. The closed cooling system works great with opperating temps lower than my raw water cooled 350.

SO-SLO