PDA

View Full Version : Where the HE** is it ?

Morgan's Cloud
10-06-2003, 01:54 PM
Now I know that there's not another site on the planet that has had more Donzis gutted and rebuilt than this one so here's the question ...

Where could my HIN be ? Do I even have one ?

The St Tropez's deck is off and completed and I'm only a short bit away from getting the floor liner out.MOST of the hull interior is exposed and I have yet to see anything.
The bow and stern areas of the hull insides have been grey gelcoated but I would'nt think that Donzi would have painted over it would they ?

Do I even have one ? I know I've seen pictures posted here of the same discovery on older Donzis.
Is mine too old ('66) ? :confused:

oldLenny
10-06-2003, 03:40 PM
It may be written on the inside of the wooden block that is the support (backing) for the bow eye. You have to remove the glass to see it. It is black felt pen...

...maybe... :confused:

knee deep
10-07-2003, 05:39 AM
Sometimes its there and sometimes its not. I don't know where else they might put it. On my '68 18 it was on the back of the dash on the starboard side, black felt pen glassed over. Maybe under the console someplace??

Morgan's Cloud
10-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Thanks guys ,
I have been looking for any strange marking pen signs since I started the rip apart process... so far nothing on any deck pieces or under centre console..

Backup block for bow eye might be promising though... It is still obscured by the large S/S backup plate I installed 16 years ago.. that will be coming off soon.

Hope I find something !

BERTRAM BOY
10-07-2003, 05:51 PM
Lenny,
Have you been Huffin' resin again? :D

"You have to remove the glass to see it. It is black felt pen..."

If you remove the 'glass, you definetly won't see it.
Another place to look, is along the side of the stringers, about where the cockpit area is. I also found numbers on my ski-rack. I don't think there is any rhyme or reason as the where they put the numbers, so you'll have to check everywhere.
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Ted Guldemond
10-08-2003, 05:56 PM
I don't know if this will help but my ? 68 St. Tropez has the hull number in two places. The most obvious is on the transon (outside) upper starboard corner just under the rub rail. Its on a brass plate pinned to the hull with two brass pins. The second is under the bow deck port side of hull, visable through the access hatch approx. 1 1/2 ft below the inside junction of hull to deck. It is stenciled in ink (#MSZ00221D292). My quess is that production numbers were too low for any standardization of placement for hull numbers, as well as minor trim pieces and hardware?

sparepartz
10-08-2003, 07:10 PM
I havent been able to find a HIN # on my st tropez either. mines a 67'. Im curious to see pics of your st tropez, to see the layout of the fittings etc. and also to see how the deck and inner liner come out as I will be doing this soon to mine. good to see some action on the center consoles, I think they are really underated on how cool the really are.

Morgan's Cloud
10-09-2003, 11:58 AM
Hi Ted .. My friends '68 Hornet (Benchseat eek! ) has the metal plate on the stern as well.Mine never had holes drilled in the transom when I got it so I know there was never a plate there.I would think that was something started in 68 maybe.Otherwise you have it also written in on the hull up in the bow storage compartment ? I have nothing there for sure..though the bow eye backup plate area sounds like a possibility.

Sparepartz... YES... Its great to hear from 2 other St Tropez owners..I always say that if anyone thinks driving a 19 hornet is fun they should try out ours !Nothing like standing on the centreline of the boat 4 feet from transom feeling the wind lift you off the water :D

I have an older photo (her glory days) and some frightening rollover pics that I could try to e-mail to you.. I'm still pretty computer illiterate to post ... duuh ....

thanks again..

Steve