PDA

View Full Version : motor just died!

need for speed
10-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Was out today boat ran great for 2 hours, then was going a long and just shut down as if it was turned off. fuel is fine and pump is pumping fuel. boat will not re start ,cranks but no go..Fuel is getting to carb. could it be a bad coil in ignition? 93 omc 454

Dr. Dan
10-06-2003, 06:06 AM
wink Charles check your kill switch...mine did not reset like I thought it would twice while in Sarasota.....I am going to replace the whole thing, this Winter! Sounds silly...but mine did the same thing? :p

Doc

KMLFAMILY
10-06-2003, 06:09 AM
Try a Dist. rotor (inexpensive & easy to change).

MOP
10-06-2003, 08:05 AM
I kind of doubt if its the kill switch, the kill switch can not stop the hot start juice from the starter to let it fire off momentarily, if it pops off for a second and dies that is pretty much a dead give away of a bad kill switch. I would go for Ignition switch, distributor or coil and also checking inside the distribut for any rust particles that may have jumped onto the distributors sensor, these late model breaker less distributors pickups are nothing more than a metal detector any debris will fool them. Do a voltage check at the positive terminal of the coil that will let you know if its the ignition switch, Should show about 8 volts not 12, it goes to 12 only during start when supplied from the starter solenoid for hot start. If you have a decent VOM meter you should be able to find the problem fairly quick. When any motor dies abruptly always try to remember the last few seconds of how it acted, that will tell any half way decent mech which way to head.

RedDog
10-06-2003, 08:29 AM
My ignition switch caused this problem for me. Try jumpering the terminal connections on back of the switch to trouble shoot.

McGary911
10-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Check what MOP said. You can see if the plugs are firing, by placing one on a ground, as opposed to THE ground, (not near anything flamable!) and observing it. If it only sparks while cranking, i would check the ballast resistor. Check it with anything that can test continuity. I've had them fail on lots of stuff. Simple + cheap = best repair ever :)

need for speed
10-11-2003, 12:55 PM
just changed the coil and put a new rotor on . still will not start. no spark! key switch is ok i tryed jumping it to see if that was the problem. so my only next idea is the ignition , but the motor is a 1993 king cobra and that is not availible, i would have to convert it to somthing else. any ideas what i should do ?

KMLFAMILY
10-11-2003, 03:23 PM
With Dist. cap off,can you see rotor turning when engine turns over ? What ign. system does the 93 cobra have(ign. box)?Re-ck every wire connection,grounds,ign.breaker,shift interrupter switch etc.