PDA

View Full Version : A note about some Special People...

Murphy
07-15-2003, 10:42 AM
The Murphy Clan had a wonderful time at the 1000 Islands gathering. Of all the memories we will save from this trip, the one that stands out occurred late in the day on Friday. Our boat stopped circulating water and started to overheat. After dockside efforts didn't improve the situation we loaded onto the trailer and made a tour of marinas. No help there either at 3:00 in the afternoon. Somehow, word of our pending decision to pull-up-stakes got out and all hell broke loose. Out of nowhere, a mechanical swat team lead by Frank C. arrived on the scene. Frank's (Shanghaid Again) first words were "you're not leaving". Scott (MadPoodle)added "we're here to fix your boat". That was that. Within 10 minutes, the team was testing every conceivable source of the problem. Mario (mphatc) a professional BMW mechanic, entered the picture. Tools appeared, a garden hose was brought in. Within 30 minutes my lower gear case was on the picnic table. Water was forced through every hose in every direction. Poodle and Dr. Dan headed to the marina for a circulating pump rebuild kit. Mario took the water pump apart and began inspecting each component. Within 1-hour, the source of the probem was found... weeds in the upper intake passage. Re-assembly began. Chris (CDMA) arrived on the scene with critical technical input. By this time, 20 people had gathered, offering encouragement and moral support. My wife was nearly in tears because she couldn't believe all these people had rushed to our assistance. I was in shock (and still am) because I'd just gotten a new lease on life and learned how to replace an impellor at the same time. Many thanks to Frank, who lead the charge... to Mario who served as chief mechanic, to Scott and Dan who helped with testing and produced tools and parts, to Chris who helped ensure we got it right, to Fast Eddie who helped out when the darn thing clogged yet a second time, and to everyone else who contributed one thing or another. These are, without a doubt, some of the nicest, kindest people you'll ever meet. We're looking forward to future events and seeing all these great folks again. For you Alpha SS owners, much was learned about the water intake characteristics of this drive, I'll post a review and hopefully a solution in the near future.

Back home in Illinois, but ready to go again,

Murph

Crazy Horse
07-15-2003, 10:47 AM
What a great post and scenario. Yes, the Donzi owners are terrific people.

smoothie
07-15-2003, 11:31 AM
Yea for sure,you meet the nicest people in a Donzi. :)

boldts
07-15-2003, 01:00 PM
Murph,

You and your family have experienced what I first got a chance to experience 3 years ago. I can envision the scene as if I had been there myself.

When I decided to start the Midwest Donzi Club, it was these people who helped and encouraged the idea. Meeting many of them for the first time at our gathering in Kentucky.

Since then, I've been lucky to have the opportunity to attend a number of other gatherings and each time, it's like visiting with family members all over again. They have all been a blessing in my life which I hope to experience for many more years. I will never forget the memories I've shared with the Donzi family.