PDA

View Full Version : Donzi history lesson

Murphy
08-18-2002, 04:06 PM
I inquired with Donzi about some historical information and I guess the records from the 80's don't exist anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the last year of production for the original corporation was 1986, with OMC coming into the picture in 87. The question I had was regarding the Blue/Creme and Red/Creme color scheme that appears around 1986. I'm just curious to know if this was a one year only thing or if these colors were used other years. Anybody own or know of a Classic from another year other than 86 in this color? Also curious as to how many Classic 22's were made in the Blue/Creme combo. Just for fun, what are the color combinations that have been used (other than white on white) by Donzi over the years? One example I know of is the Anniversary Edition (87 or 91, can't remember) that was Silver.

Thanks,

Murph

Silver Streak
08-18-2002, 04:46 PM
The Silver Anniversary Edition was built in 1988. Have not a clue as to the number manufactured. Color is white with silver hull sides, silver stripe, red accent stripe. Interior is also silver with red piping. Ms. Debbe tells me the color is closer to pewter than silver, but it's okay because it matches my hair. :D
I tried to use this as an excuse to make an offer on Ted's boat, but she said I won't qualify for a few more years. I'm not sure why, but somehow this is supposed to be a good thing. :confused:

-rick-

donzi2287
08-18-2002, 05:07 PM
Dear Murph: OMC/Chris Craft took over Donzi in 1989. The cream color was used for several years and I think it was from 1979-1986.

Eddie

Donzigo
08-19-2002, 07:57 AM
OMC/Chris Craft took over, indeed, in I think June of 1989. OMC immediately changed many things, ie: OMC Cobra drives installation was the big difference. I used to think these were inferior drives,; but, so many on this registry have given good reports, that I have certainly changed my opinion. But, I wonder why they were discontinued. Perhaps Mercury was just too far ahead in the popular acceptance of their product and OMC couldn't catch up. Maybe others can elaborate.

Having recently purchased a Z-33 built in 1989, I founf taht it was sold with Mercruisers in it. I was in the factory from time to time; and, remember that when OMC took over, there were many boats already produced in the back of the plant with plastic wrap on them awaiting delivery. When OMC took over, they offered these boats at a bargain basement price to their existing dealers and to anyone else off the street. I didn't have the ability to buy one; but, I am pretty sure that my 1989 Z-33 came from that lot of leftover boats, to the first owner of Lake Lanier, Georgia, to the second owner in St. Pete. and then to me.

Can't answer the blue/white question. Just offering my 2 cents.

gjohns6896
08-19-2002, 09:52 AM
For what's it's worth...my '92 18 was the LAST Donzi Classic to leave the factory in Goshen, Indiana.

So I was told....

George

Craig
08-19-2002, 10:27 AM
I was going through some old boat stuff just last p.m. and found an '88 catalog and (I think) an '87 catalog. The '88 catalog was awesome. Great big (like 13"x19") and heavy paper. Great pics. Seems to me like OMC was the out-drive offered in one of those catalogs (assume the '88), but thought I also saw some mercs. I'll check tonight.
Interesting, both catalogs had a Donzi "Minx." It looked pretty cool. Deeper, like the Hornet, but with a pointier bow. Any of those in the registry?

EricG
08-19-2002, 02:12 PM
Owen's Model list project has a pretty good breakdown of the ownership over the years....

The 88 Brochure is the Poster I have framed in my Hallway....the Classic/Z page is still Merc boats...I haven't looked at the Regazza/Fish side for awhile so I'm not sure on the OMC drives on that side. I do know that that the '89 brochure I've seen was OMC focused.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/egudgel40.jpg

Richard, Your explanation finally expains to me why I see "Post Sale" boats with Merc Power. What month do most manufacturer's start producing the new model year? In other words, my 1988 was built in September '87 (with Merc Power), but I've always wondered when in '88 they started building 89's.

EG

Murphy
08-19-2002, 05:38 PM
Can't tell exactly from the photo but it looks like those Classics still had the Lexan frameless windshields. What year did they start-up with the stainless frame model anybody know?

Thanks,

Murph

donzi2287
08-19-2002, 07:11 PM
speaking of lexan windshields.... my 1987 22 classic needs new fittings that attach to the boat. does anybody know where to get them? thanks for any advice.

EricG
08-19-2002, 08:25 PM
Actually, it's just the picture. The Classics on the poster have the Stainless Framed Windshields. Not sure when they changed? Wasn't it around '85/86?

EG

kk89z33
08-19-2002, 08:51 PM
I have all the sales brochures from 87 to 92 and bought a 89 Z-33 in 90. The OMC's started to show up in 88, along with Merc and Yamaha. In 89, OMC was listed as base powertrain. I have a retail price sheet for 89, and it shows all the classics and Z boats had both OMC and Merc, Merc being optional(and a lot more $). I think late 89 was the OMC take over, because in the 90 the retail price sheet had no Mercs were offered at all. If my memory is correct, OMC started its influence into Donzi as early as 88, It was not until 89 did they take over. I think the production was moved to Goshen IN some time shortly after. Does anyone know when exactly they went to Goshen?

Formula Jr
08-19-2002, 10:37 PM
Not wishing to step on anyone's toes here, but it is my opinion that the "classic" era ended with the purchase of Donzi by Genth et al. If Genth had not purchased Donzi, the name would have died out. The new Donzi went on to design and make some incrediblely beautiful boats, such as the Z series, the Widow series, the ZX series and now the ZR series, but they also padded the bottom line with alot of very conventional family style craft and later there were cross over corp boat designs from Wellcraft and SeaRay due to the OMC connection that still survives today. This is the result of a very tragic era during the mid 80's that still presists, in that the big corps that own the power trains, bought up all the old unigue small builders and then homogenized the boats across the board as dictated by the bean counters. This is one of the reasons that boat shows are so boring to go to now. And its a shame the new 18's come with the plastic perko base crap. Just imagine going to a boat show and sitting there is a brand new Hornet Bench, with a 502 and a Bravo III drive. Tempered Glass windshield with a stainless wrap-around cap. A stainless Morse throttle control with a wood ball and a Donzi insert emblem, finger tip trim control along the shaft, flawless Bilt-Rite interior, Kevlar and carbon fiber construction, a gelcoat with a mirror finish and billet carved SS hardware through-out. Vents with DONZI carved into them. And real SS scripts that spell out Donzi Marine - like they were really proud of making it. Guess what that boat would cost. About the same as the classic boats did in their day after inflation. The small shops didn't care about selling only 45 boats a year cause the margines still worked and a buyer could trust they were getting a "Quality" product, and if there was a problem, the Company Owner would show up to look at it. Donzis were the play things of the ultra-rich, boats most of us could never have afforded new. But now the buying public just looks for easy measurements. Length Vs. Cost. Space Vs Cost. and everything else they just don't care about cause they don't know what to look for and that's were the numbers are. And the CEOs spend their days defining a golden parachute for the inevitable day that their incompatence and glide factor runs the company into the ground...........

harbormaster
08-20-2002, 12:18 AM
Sooo whats your point Geodesic Dome boy?

Formula Jr
08-20-2002, 04:51 AM
Point? Let me check.......... nope, I don't see one either...... wink

Craig
08-20-2002, 06:23 AM
Point or no point, I think Donzi should hire Formula and start a Classic Classic line! Eric, I noticed that the more high performance boats (like in your framed poster) in the '88 catalog had Mercs and the fishing boats and Family style boats (Regazza's) have OMC drives. Interesting.
Also re: the windshield thing, I think '88 may have been the first year for the steel top rail type. I mentioned above I also had the 87 catalog. Now I'm thinking it may be '86 (some of it is missing and can't find a date). Anyway I think its '86 or '87 and the Minx, for example has a black plastic unframed windshield in that one. Looks like all Mercs then too.