PDA

View Full Version : Alignment?

David O
08-17-2002, 06:20 PM
How critical is the alignment from the motor to the outdrive?
We have replaced the intermediate housing shaft and were loaned an alignment tool. It slips onto the shaft and pins into the 270 outdrive swivel holes. We have bolted the motor and bell housing up, then proceeded to tighten the intermediate housing bolts up at the back of the transom. The intermediate housing then centers itself about 1/8" lower than the pins will allow. We have replaced only the intermediate bell housing shaft. Everything else is the same.

Will the universal joint take up this offset?
Is this a problem?
Do we need to lower the front motor mounts?

thanks,
Stuart/David

Ralph Savarese
08-17-2002, 07:51 PM
Dave,
Is the space around the rubber ring inside the boat where the interm.housing goes through even all the way around if so you are ok.

harbormaster
08-17-2002, 08:33 PM
We put a light coating of grease on the end of the alignment tool. Slide it in, then pull it out and inspect it. You should have uniform markings from the splines all the way around. If not change the alignment till you do. Do not depend on the Ujoints to make up for it when you can get it right. My 2 cents

David O
08-18-2002, 06:28 AM
Ralph Yes the rubber seals appear centered. It is the angle of the motor I question. It appears the front end of the motor is to high therefore causing the spline at the back end of the intermediate housing to be about 1/8 inch low of the alignment tool.
Scot I agree with you, get it right the first time. This is on Stuarts boat and his motor mounts are already adjusted as low as they can go without cutting away some of his stringer, according to him. We also see no way to adjust them in the boat with the motor in even if they had adjustment left in them.
Looks like the only way is to remove the motor AGAIN, take the lock nut of the bottom of the mounts, put the motor back in and adjust the mounts with the top nut until correct, take the motor back out and secure the lock nuts on the mount.
Stuarts wants the easy way out if possible and leave it like it is unless being out of alignment will cause harm to the u-joints. And I need him out of my driveway so I can finish my boat.
So he is looking for some backing that he can leave it as is and if not then just how does one align the motor to the outdrive properly.
Thanks
David

HP 600SC
08-18-2002, 06:54 AM
The engine needs to come out and do it till its right. A mercury alignment tool has no splines,
thus you can turn it when it is inserted.
I have always adjusted the mounts untill
it is possible to turn the alignment bar with
two fingers, if not then you will pay for it
later!!

David O
08-18-2002, 07:51 AM
HP500
That's what I keep telling Stuart. If it wasn't important then why do they make an alignment tool?

I understand you are looking for an Classic 1973 X-18, well for an even swap I might consider trading you for your 2000 SE 22.
David

HP 600SC
08-18-2002, 08:16 AM
As long as I dont have to kick in any cash
you got a deal!!
Your right about the tool.....
but some people you just cant reach!!
Are you bringing that beauty to Eufalla?

CDMA
08-18-2002, 08:49 AM
Maybe I am wrong here but David has a Volvo right? So am I just confused or are we giving him advice as if he has a mercruiser...

Chris

Aligned well... I think

David O
08-18-2002, 09:23 AM
Yes it is a Volvo but the theroy should be the same. It must be aligned properly. If and when Stuart gets here today I will show him that so far the site says "do it right, align it properly" The best I can tell is we need to adjust the motor mounts until the alignment tool can be installed or removed easily from the splin to the out drive. Once that is done the outdrive should fit with no problem.
His wife has total control over him so I doubt I will see him today, so today I get to work on my boat once I shove his stuff out of the way.

HP - NO I won't be bringing Donzi Chic to Eufaula, she has school and my boat will not be ready. I hinted to Gene S that I take CHI CHI but he didn't jump at the idea. I am seriously thinking of coming over anyhow just to see everyone but I might not have as much luck as Toonafish did at getting a boat to ride in. I am real ugly compared to her and I look like hell in a thong.
I will trade with you but only on the condition you let me finish the X-18 and have it perfect for you. Mine will be Aligned, the engine painted per Pearsons specs, the outdrive reconditioned and painted in AWLGRIP, the raw wood in the transom cutout all glassed, brand new Stainless Marine exhaust setup per Intense Marine, zero time remanufactured engine, new Gaffrig Guages, new holley carb, etc. All the above is either still in boxes or scattered all over the place but it will happen.
David
out to the garage

HP 600SC
08-18-2002, 10:02 AM
Hmmmm, Poodle is offering $49.95 + his X-18
I might go that route.
I have never aligned a Volvo but as you say
they do make a tool for it. Yes I am sure the theroy is the same. I was'nt offering advice on how to aligne a Merc....I did figure out it was a Volvo....
Chris, since you have done it...why dont you tell him how its done.

CDMA
08-18-2002, 10:32 AM
Not trying to insult anyone just making sure. I am actually asking for my own knowledge because that is not how I did mine.

The Volvo was a very different drive to align then the mercruiser. For that matter the design of the intermediate assembly of the volvo differs greatly from the merc. Unlike the mercruiser the volvo have an intermediate housing that contains a shaft that is fixed into it. So when you remove the drive and look in where you would see the female spline on the merc you see a male spline on the volvo. Then on the universal joint side there is the female slide. It is not possible to align a volvo with a merc type tool where you stick the shaft through the gimble bearing and into the coupler on the back of the engine and move the engine up and down till it is in the correct location. There is no easily replaceable gimble bearing as in a merc intermediate and that is why from time to time you hear volvo owners having to have the shafts and bearings replaced in their intermediates.

With this arangement it is possible to remove the engine from a volvo i/o boat w/o removing the outdrive. I never had the oem volvo tool and when I had my volvo I could not find one. So under the supervision of an old mechanic he showed me his trick. Whether this is the approved method or not is up for debate but it worked, and well at that, for me. Instead of putting the intermediate in and then installing the engine we put the intermediate in and installed the drive w/o the engine in the boat. ( This can be done with a Volvo). Therefore after the drive was aligned to the intermediate the bell housing past the rubber seals was at the correct angle. Then it was easy to just align the engine to the bell housing. Unlike the merc there are no flex mounts where the bell housing attaches to the intermediate or in the case of the merc the inner transom plate.

So as I was saying not stepping on anyone's toes. But I am not sure how aligning the volvo is that similar to the merc.

Ralph Savarese
08-18-2002, 10:33 AM
David, I have never seen a volvo alighnment tool the unit is self alighning through the transom shield with two large o rings and a bolt together collar. As long as it is spaced even around that collar on the inside of the transom that is the only thing you should be looking for.
I have done this hundreds of times many times.
Ralph

David O
08-18-2002, 01:21 PM
Ralph
With the compression plate loose against the rubber donuts and the engine securely fasten to the engine mounts; the alignment tools will slide on and off very easily. When we tighten up the compression plate it appears to center itself in the transom bracket and now the alignment tool cannot be removed or installed. If the fulcrum point is where the intermediate housing goes through the rubber donuts then it appears the front of the engine needs to go down in order to tilt up the shaft so it will line up once the rubber donuts have self centered.
I guess the big question is still whether or not it is necessary to have it perfectly aligned.
If I understand you correctly, you say it is not necessary just let the donuts align them self to the center of the transom bracket and go with it?

Chris
How would you support the back of the engine while aligning it to the intermediate housing if I installed the out drive first. Should I be able to bolt the engine to the front engine mounts and expect them to support the whole engine as I check the clearance with a feeler gauge to make sure the engine bell crank is parallel to the housing?

Am I making to big a deal out of this? Should I just bolt it up and go? This is good, I can learn on Stuarts boat and then do mine correctly based on what tears up on his.
I will post a photo of the alignment tool we are using tomorrow. The camera is at work.
Stuart is sure going to owe you guys a lot of thanks or a few rounds at the bar in Eufaula.
Anyone else wanting some of Stuart's money in Eufaula better step up and offer some advice.
Toona we welcome advice from you, it always adds smiles.
David

BigGrizzly
08-18-2002, 10:08 PM
Chris and Ralph are correct. Put it together and come to Eufala.

Randy

ToonaFish
08-18-2002, 10:40 PM
So you need a pro, eh?

With my vast experience, it'll be a snap to align your shaft, just as soon as I finish tightening Mark's nuts. Can't you guys do anything by yourself? (Don't answer that.)

Bunches,

Celene 'mechanically inclined'

MOP
08-19-2002, 06:52 AM
If you guys get that gap decently close all the way around you should be fine. Ever look at the 4 cylinders? They don't have front mounts, they sit there and shake all over at idle and torque to one side underway. I worked on these setups for many years the only U joints I replaced were ones damaged by good old SALT water when the bellows failed. A very good tip is to take the screw out of the top of the intermediate center punch the flat end and drill it for a grease fitting, that way you can give the housing a shot of grease every few runs the shaft and bearings will last a very long time if this is done.