PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get nicks out of a prop?

Greg Maier
08-17-2002, 05:49 PM
I have several small nicks on the leading edges of my Blackhawk props. What is the best way to remove these besides sending them to get labbed? Should I simply remove them with a fine file?

blackhawk
08-17-2002, 06:00 PM
Greg, don't worry about it, you need to buy some 31's anyway! :D

Seriously, I really don't know. I would think you could smooth them out with a fine file but you definitely do not want to remove a lot of material or you will put them out of balance.

I'm sure an expert will give you better advice!

How are you liking the boat?

Greg Maier
08-17-2002, 06:12 PM
I'm really liking it. I would love to get a set of 31's but they are hard to come by. I've had her up to 74.5 mph. That was at about 60 degrees F and glassy water. Are you thinking of putting an HP500 in with the Blackhawk drive?

blackhawk
08-17-2002, 06:21 PM
Greg, that is impressive speed with 29's!

About the HP500, that depends on how much $$$. I have made the boat easier to drive and it is now ready for more speed. The full hydraulic external steering made a HUGE DIFFERENCE! The 280 K-planes scrub a little speed but it's a fair trade in the slop. I can't beleive how much better the boat handles now compared to when I bought it!

I think it's ready for more speed! :p

yachtjim
08-17-2002, 08:57 PM
Use a file on the leading edge, but only on the front side of the prop. In other words, the side of the prop you would see when looking from the bow of your boat towards the stern. Never touch the other side (the side you would see if you were looking at your boat from the stern) except to remove burrs.

Greg Maier
08-17-2002, 11:19 PM
Blackhawk,
How did you put the steering on with the K-planes. I have an IMCO system ready to go on, I just have to figure out how. I have done some measuring, and I think I will have to put the transom brackets outside of the K-planes. Is that how you did it?

Donzi Blackhawk
08-18-2002, 12:00 AM
Greg,

The nick will most likely have been bent over to one side. Using two claw hammers swing them together very gently on the nicked area of the prop. If the nick proves difficult to remove, swing the hammer on the bent side of the blade a bit harder. Keep control of the hammers because they will bounce off of the blade. Do this until the nick has been straightened. Try not to put a file to the blade. Cleaning up a burr with a file may be required, just remember, any material removed has the possibility of altering however slight, the balance of the prop. Good luck.

Bryant

Greg Maier
08-18-2002, 07:38 AM
Bryant,
Thanks for the reply. None of these are big nicks. The whole leading edge of the blade is uniformly dull. Almost like hundreds of little "mini-nicks"
Greg

blackhawk
08-18-2002, 09:53 AM
Greg,

WPM makes a top mounted cap that allows me to mount the brackets 5" higher. That, used in combination with their short rams put me just above the inside of my K-planes. I think this combo makes me lose some turning radius when I am trimmed up but it's no big deal. Plus it had a built in drive shower. :D Here's a pic. Bryant, my buddy has a Volvo duoprop and he hit bottom and lopped an ear right over. Two hammers and 10 minutes and we were back in business!

http://www.donzi.net/photos/elgas081802.jpg