PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Parts (Boneyard) needed!!

bverd
10-02-2003, 09:14 AM
Okay... the power trim/tilt pump assembly for my 280T has quit after 25 years. I have been on the phone with a bunch of parts suppliers and a new (replacement) pump is over $1000. I either need to find one in a boneyard somewhere or figure out what the presure rating is and see if I can make a Merc pump work for me.

I am waiting patiently for sterndrive.com to open.
Any help is appreciated.

--bverd

Craig
10-02-2003, 11:03 AM
Hey again Brad,

When I was looking for an outdrive I had talked to a guy (marine mechanic) near Annapolis, MD that did recently do some kind of hybrid Merc / Volvo power trim thing; I think similar to what your saying -- used the Merc's pump. Said it worked really well.

If you want I'll dig up his phone # tonight. He's a nice old guy. Could give you details of what he did.

Craig

Forrest
10-02-2003, 11:51 AM
Yep, just use a regular 'ol Oildin (new style Merc) trim pump. I've used these pumps with my 280Ts on my Magnum for years and they work just fine. You may need a couple of adaptors that you can find in most auto supplies to hook it up and you can often find brand Merc trim pumps with bracket and solenoids on eBay for cheap. Also as an added bonus, your drive will go up and down about twice as fast with the Oildin pump than with your original Prestolite pump.

If you just have to have the original Volvo Prestolite pump, I probably have one or two sitting around here somewhere that may still work that you can have for cheap.

oldLenny
10-02-2003, 03:46 PM
...and Scot Van A has access to a 280 or something with a Merc trim conversion on it already and VERY reasonable...and Merc rams

bverd
10-02-2003, 04:08 PM
Well it has been a very educational day. Lets just say that Volvo is "WHACKED" when it comes to pricing. The "rare breed" pump that I am trying to replace is a very common pump in other applications.

You can put a Merc pump on a 280T, it is just a pump... jeesh wink I believe I have tracked down what I need now and should be working in a couple of days.

Thanks for all the help,
--bverd

BigGrizzly
10-02-2003, 06:56 PM
Thr pressure is 2200psi on the up and 500 on the down. If the pump motor is fried than it can be replaced if the O rings are shot in the suttle valve you can't buy that size but I can make them for you-- I did it on my Corsican. If it were me, I would buy an Olin or merc pump if I had the money

Ralph Savarese
10-03-2003, 10:37 AM
Try these Guys excellent and knowlegable
www.sterndrive.com (http://www.sterndrive.com)