PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Drive update------

harbormaster
08-16-2002, 07:38 PM
Friday August 16th Update
OK Drive Update. The Drive is Done. There was a WAD of fishing line on the prop shaft that did not damage to the propshaft seal.(see photo). Upon inspection we could tell that someone had been into the waterpump before and replaced the impellor. There is a plastic tube (guide) that was a little melted. It looked like the outdrive had gotten hot eek! . When "whoever" had reassembled the drive, they used the old gaskets with silicon gasket sealer eek! and also left off the waterpump face seal. eek!

A complete waterpump kit has now been installed.
The pressure was also tested to insure a good reassembly.

We will replace the gimbal bearing and shifter bushings early Monday morning (Mike the Mechanic is now going to the beach :D .)

I would not want to go out this weekend because of all the crap in the water from the flooding.

Final Result: Approx $200.00 parts and 3 hours mechanic labor. I think we came out OK on that one.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/fishingline.jpg

Doug L.
08-17-2002, 07:20 AM
I thought it was something with that
water pump.
Doug

harbormaster
08-17-2002, 08:51 AM
It was the waterpump. The bottom seal was toast.

harbormaster
08-17-2002, 08:51 AM
It was the waterpump. The bottom seal was toast.

HyperDonzi
08-17-2002, 10:42 AM
whenever you take apart an engine, i was always told that the gaskets are good to replace then, while it is apart. that way you take it apart as least amount of times possible.

Rootsy
08-17-2002, 05:06 PM
hmmmmmm well habbamasta, seems you put the bug in my butt to finally repair my water problem in the sterndrive... top slip seal was all cracked and leaking like a sieve. replaced the impeller and gaskets while i was at it... water was comin out the prop and out of the weep holes in the front.. kind of difficult to have happen when all you have are thru-hulls... all better now wink

now that i have the fuel pressure issue resolved it's onto the exhaust to find my water restriction and i sure hope the dude finds my valve covers SOOOON which are lost somewhere in the UPS world... :mad:

harbormaster
08-17-2002, 08:39 PM
My work here is finished. Perhaps this silver waterpump will tell you who I am.