PDA

View Full Version : Back to the drawing board

Cuda
10-01-2003, 08:38 PM
Ok, today I took my heads to a machine shop for a valve job. They said the heads weren't worth putting the money into. Took them to a second shop, same opinion. This is on top of the shop that I had do the block work and crank done that was of the same opinion.

Now my questions are:

Should I get another set of heads like these?
Or should I go ahead and get a set of vortec heads?

The shop said they would have to cut the valve bosses and put in the screw in studs and pushrod guides if the lift of the cam is over .480 (which I think is exactly what mine is).

Then after reading this article on vortec heads http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/howto/97458/

they say the springs need work when using a cam over .430 lift.

DUCATIF1
10-01-2003, 09:47 PM
I have used these heads with lift close to what you are using with zero problems. With any cam install you will have to check once installed. There are many variables which could cause binding problems. I would use comp cam Xtreme 272 which is used in just about every mag write up with those heads and a Performer manifold. It pust out about 350 real hp with some serious torque. Last 400SBC I built used exact set up and was monster torque motor. Try Pace Chevy they have entire kit with heads, manifold, bolts, gaskets, etc for something like $900 which is incredible deal as that is expensive manifold and includes head bolts and good Chevy gaskets. They also have matched McFarland cam and upgrades to the heads. One stop shopping at an unbeatable deal. By the way I think mag article should have read 480 not 430. Good luck