PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous boats racing a Donzi

Greg Maier
08-16-2002, 07:21 AM
Last night I was cruising down the C&D Canal for a leisurely ride with a boatload of 5 people icluding a 5 year old kid. We were cruising along about 40 mph and passed a 22 ft Grady White center console. For some reason, this guy thought we were looking for a race. I think if I was the Captain of that fishing boat and I saw a 22 Blackhawk go by with the 502 snarling in my ear and a roostertail flying off the back, I would leave well enough alone. Well, this guy decided to race. All I did was maintain speed. So it was him and I, all the way to the end of the canal. Me at 40 mph, him at probably 39 1/2, trying his hardest to get around me. It was quite amusing. He had that Johnson 200 outboard screaming, but he just couldn't catch me. Does anybody else have any ridiculous racing stories?

roadtrip se
08-16-2002, 08:47 AM
Greg,

Maybe he just wanted to see that blackhawk run for a few minutes. I do the same thing all the time.
Lots of Cats in my area and when I see one, I always turn it around. No chance I'm going to out run it, but I get to watch them run for as long as I can stay with them, and the incredulous look on their faces when I pull up is always priceless....

Todd

Greg Maier
08-16-2002, 09:19 AM
Roadtrip, you are probably right. It is a natural instinct to race any vehicle that passes you, no matter how unlikely a victory.

yachtjim
08-16-2002, 09:38 AM
So you're saying you just barely beat a 22 Grady with a 200 Johnson! May the Donzi gods be gentle with your punishment. :D

I bet if you go over to the Grady boards right now you will see a post from a 22 Grady Owner saying he was keeping up with a Donzi and almost beat it! :cool:

blackhawk
08-16-2002, 09:43 AM
Does anybody else have any ridiculous racing stories?

Yep,

Me trying to run with a 28 Profile Cat with a 575 in 2' slop. That was ridiculous! :D

Rootsy
08-16-2002, 10:02 AM
yep... me gettng my butt wooped by all of these overpowered wave runners that think they need to race ya every chance they get... we're trying to fix this problem though :D

and blackhawk... quantum physics gives me a headache this early on a friday morning!!!! wink

blackhawk
08-16-2002, 10:07 AM
Jamie, sorry about the headache! LOL

HyperDonzi
08-17-2002, 12:01 PM
i raced a 29' bayiner in the baja, does that count?

mattyboy
08-17-2002, 04:26 PM
got my ears waxed the other night by what I thought was an old woody, turned out to be a riva with twin 350's

Matt

Formula Jr
08-17-2002, 06:10 PM
One of the fondest memories of me childhood was when, my uncle's friend ED - a hydroplane racer- challenged my uncle to a race with his new 68 18 2+3. My uncle had just bought a 16 foot Glasbar with the then brand new Merc 125 O/B. You have to realize that this model Glasbar is a completely conventional semi-Vee Positive shear utility with a wind shield. As my uncle was a sailboat racer, he knew a stimpled running surface was faster and we had applied and then wet sanded the bottom paint. It was a glass water day which didn't help ED's 18. Off we go from a dead stop - EDs boat jumped right out of the water with his big Volvo Fan prop. And then we caught up to him at about 7/8ths throttle. I thought for sure ED was going to hammer it and fly away and sure enough he did stuff the throttle, and so did my uncle and the 125 "got on the pipe as they say" , and I will never forget the look on ED's face as we pulled away from him. My Uncle always refered to "speedboats" as "Jerk Boats" from then on..............but I got over it.... wink

On the reverse side, last time I was tooling around the Magothy; light chop, in the Jr, there was this very fast little boat I could see just barely running in the distance, so I headover for a look see. I came up on the back starboard side and couldn't believe what it was. As I came along side It was a 14-15 foot Avon style rigid inflatable with a delta conic hull. God knows what he had for an O/B but he blew me away. It wasn't even a contest.......

blackhawk
08-17-2002, 06:38 PM
Seriously, I can't believe the people that want to race and are then shocked when I spank them.

If I had a dollar for every "80 mph" boat I beat, well, I'd have about 20 bucks! :D

I always pic my races wisely and have a pretty good record because of it. Except that damn Profile wants to run me everytime I see him!!! :rolleyes:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-17-2002, 09:05 PM
BLACKHAWK, you said it
"pick your races wisely"
We are far from fast at 66/67 GPS, but if we are leaving the rivers heading toward the bay or the ocean I know I will bag most in the 24 to 30 range.
Great stories.
I have been waxed more than I care to admit, my nads are bigger than my motor!
Bryan

Bug
08-18-2002, 06:14 PM
Yeah last friday night I took my 18 2+3 out for a
ride,I wasn't looking for a race But...
I was coming up on a bridge and starting to slow down (was cruising about 40 mph) when a Formula
about 26 ft. roar up past me and cut in front of me. His friend was following in a Yamaha Jet boat.We'll after the bridges (they were 2)I was
down on the throttle, blew the jet boat away and was gaining on the Formula before we turned them down again for the next bridge.On the other side of the bridge was a resturant where they were going to eat. The guy in the jet boat yeld,
DONZI'S RULE.Gave him a thumbs up an moved on.

mattyboy
08-18-2002, 07:34 PM
went out for my mental sanity ride early Sun am.
after a great run in calm water, returning home
down the no wake zone, but the channel is blocked by the rowing club with 1 4 man skull and 2 1 man skulls, so I sit in nuetral and wait a few moments, now I figure I just pass em, no they got the whole channel blocked, so i follow them down the arm of the lake, well I got left in the dust :p they started up and took off! I would have had to come on plane to catch em, so lesson learned to mess with a row boat in a no wake zone!

Matt :o

Ted S
08-18-2002, 08:11 PM
About 15yrs ago I was in Little Egg Harbor NJ in a Winner outboard that did about 40 mph. I past a clammer steering his 22' inboard Garvey with a tillar sitting on the transom. After I past him in my "fast" outboard, I heard a roar as he flew past me... throwing a 30 foot rooster tail behind him. By the time I caught up to him at the public docks in Parker cove, he was already tied up and unloading his load of clams. It turned out that he had a 455 Olds in it and the hull had a slight chicken breast in it and was stepped like a hydroplane. He claimed it would do about 70 an I believe him. Never guess what a boat you don't know can do. eek! eek!

Ted wink