PDA

View Full Version : Should I let Donzi use my boat this weekend?

TMANN
09-30-2003, 07:00 PM
I just got a call from the Donzi dealer here in Clear Lake and they asked if they could use my boat in the Boat show this weekend. It seems that Donzi was trying to get them a 22 Classic to use but they were not able to. From what I understand Donzi said call me and offer me $500 on every Donzi Classic they sell off the boat show if I would let them. As I am one of the only 22's around here. They would have it five days and I could not get it back till Sunday. My question is should I let them? If something happens to it who would be responsible for it. Is there anything I need to do to protect myself just in case? I’m sure I won’t see the $500 a boat because they won’t sell one most likely. So it would just be to help I guess. Thanks in advance for any help.

Also thanks everyone for asking about Jon!

TMANN :)

TuxedoPk
09-30-2003, 07:13 PM
Perhaps Donzi could help their dealer by helping a customer.. another year of maintenance?

BigGrizzly
09-30-2003, 07:30 PM
Do it let other people see your beautiful boat!

FASTEDDIE
09-30-2003, 08:42 PM
They will have to clean and polish your boat for the show. A complete detail job on a 22 Classic is worth $220-$250. You'll get that for free. Tell the dealer instead of $500.00( For a Maybe sale) your do it for a credit slip for an oil change , filter and outdrive lower unit fluid change. Its less than $500.00 but it guaranteed plus a FREE detail. It won't cost him that much and your going to have to do it anyway. How can you lose? I say for that deal , I'm in.

JimG
09-30-2003, 08:45 PM
Do it man!! I would, in a heartbeat!

We'll be out there on Sunday, we'll bring ya a cheeseburger!

JimG

ps: I'd offer mine, but it isn't exactly current... :D

Team Jefe
09-30-2003, 09:12 PM
Go for it man, and try to work the free maintenance angle. That is one nice looking ride.

goatee
09-30-2003, 09:29 PM
i would. and fast eddie has a good point!

Stix Magill
09-30-2003, 10:02 PM
Do it. I like the possibility of making a couple 'a grand if the show goes well. The free detail (with your supervision) sounds worthwhile as well. Let us know what happens.

Scott

TMANN
09-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I will... They said they would clean it before and after the show and that would be nice. I drop it off first thing in the morning. When I drop it of I will see what else they will do. Maybe give us some free stuff for the forum. I don’t know but will see.

TMANN :)

Sea Biscuit
10-01-2003, 07:32 AM
May be I'm anual but no way would I turn my Donzi over to the show crowd

terry
10-01-2003, 08:10 AM
I agree with Lee.....no way.

harbormaster
10-01-2003, 08:16 AM
Phil, I would do it. See if you can get some free boat show tickets for the Donzi owners in the are to hangout with your boat. nudge nudge wink wink. :D

JimG
10-01-2003, 09:54 AM
Hey Scot and Tmann, we're going to meet for breakfast Sunday morning at Noah's Ark. Bring your honey's and join us!!

JimG

Shanghied Again
10-01-2003, 10:11 AM
The question is, are they going to allow people to board your boat? Most dealers don't pay attention to boats that are not theres are not hi priced. The general public has no problem breaking stuff on your boat. I would Have Donzi put in writing that they will and I mean they will repair any items broke at the show! I am telling you this from experience. Three items broke on my boat from the Atlantic City boat show 2 years ago and they still have not been fixed yet! Major glass cracks from shoes on my dash and a forklift through my stringers. I will never do it again.

Darrell
10-01-2003, 10:28 AM
Go for it, You will get a great detail job :cool: and you might offer to work the event as a Classic expert to answer questions and greet folks for the dealer, you know they would have to give you some cool Donzi clothes to wear :cool: . That way you could watch your boat and have some fun talking boats with other folks. With no Classic to sell I wouldn't count on any money down the road. :rolleyes:

Darrell

Walt. H.
10-01-2003, 10:32 AM
I use to work for a boat dealer years ago and they all came back with something after a boatshow.Thats why you get a deal on a "floor model". Some were only sticky smudges from little kids ice cream fingers, they all had shoe scuff's some were permanent even after polishing and some received rear seat cushion punctures from girly type shoe heels. eek! from people getting in and out of the boats. Last but not least is the petty theft of small items. such as knobs, gas caps or anything else that can be twisted off,etc. I would only consider it if its for a ropped off display only.

But thats just my opinion, its your choice and the price of fame. :cool:
I know the same thing can happen just tied to the dock. :rolleyes: BUT?????

Good luck,

Walt..

mattyboy
10-01-2003, 10:56 AM
I would do it on one condition, I'm with the boat,
I'll talk it up good and any test drives are given by me. how BTW if I sell it the normal 20% commission wink

Matty

RickSE
10-01-2003, 11:07 AM
I agree with Frank. I help my dad out every year for the New Mexico show. Our biggest problem is kids and young adults jumping in the boats without supervision. These types of people do not read signs and if your not watching every second they'll jump in a boat without removing shoes; crank on every lever, switch and knob; open and close every door and hatch; and walk all over your boat. Go to the show first thing and make sure the dealer makes it very difficult for anyone to get in the boat unless supervised. I'd suggest no stairs next to the boat unless they're closed off at the top and something to barricade off your trailer fenders to keep them from getting bent or scratched.

mjpcowboy
10-01-2003, 11:38 AM
I would not consider it. A good percentage of the people at the show probably have not been around a boat at all. I have a hard enough time with some people who have boats and spend every weekend on them let alone someone who has no concept of what they can damage and how much it is to replace. I have seen damage done to boats that are watched by several sales people. A good number of people (not Donzi lovers on this board) could give a chit less about how nice something is. Just my $.02