PDA

View Full Version : My trim/tilt pump just goes click...

bverd
09-26-2003, 07:07 PM
Came home early for a sunset cruise on the Potomac, got the boat ready tilted the drive up no problem, towed it down to the ramp, put it in and "CLICK". :confused: Nothing!!! Any clues? I checked the wiring and it is all there, I will take a volt meter to it in the morning. Curious if there is are some tests I should run before I replace it. :mad:

One last thing... it is a Volvo 280T outdrive and appropriate pump.

--bverd

Ed Donnelly
09-27-2003, 08:29 AM
check for voltage into relay for pump,check for voltage out of relay for pump. If you have power in not out when relay is activated,the contacts on the relay are bad..Power out of the relay and the pump does not drive, motor may be bad.. If it drives up,but not down and you have power to the pump,when driven up,then it is one of your wires(deep breath)

Air 22
09-27-2003, 09:31 PM
Brad...always pointing out the obvious :D Sounds like operator error to me.... :rolleyes:
Just bustin ya brotha!!! wink

CDMA
09-27-2003, 09:47 PM
Yeah Dwight I think it is operator error...considering you have experience with popping fuses in your trim pump wink

Chris

Down to 7 fuses....

MOP
09-28-2003, 04:30 AM
bvred I know I have brought this up before, the Boscch relays are available from VW for about 1/2 the price of Volvo. The contact pinouts are embossed on the caps, just hand the bad one to your VW parts man he will hand you back the right one. This may not apply to whats going on with yours but something to remember.

Air 22
09-28-2003, 10:38 AM
Hey Chris...or is it little engineer :D YOU...could't figure out my trim issue....i think you riding in the boat had something to do w/ all those fuses blowing hmmmmmmm... :rolleyes:

and it wasn't 7 fuses....it was 5 :D eek! like that's ok right wink

Dave98
09-30-2003, 08:29 PM
Before buying any parts, I would check that all of the connections are free of corrosion (take them apart and check) and that all are good'n tight. Sometimes you will have the proper voltage but the connection will not allow the proper amount of current to flow. Electric motors draw a grunch of current.

Good Luck. :( :)

harbormaster
10-01-2003, 08:22 AM
I agree with dave98. Mine was doing the same thing,

It seems that the drain hole for the gutter around the hatch drained on top of the trim assembly causing corrosion. I replaced the wire ends and solenoids and it eliminated the problem.