PDA

View Full Version : New models for Donzi

Greg K
09-26-2003, 08:32 AM
After reading October's Powerboat new model preview and the Kimmell interview, I wonder if we can expect anything to come from Donzi in a low profile/cut-down deck style in other sizes other than the 38ZR.
I would enjoy seeing and consider a 24ZR and 29ZR model. I think this fits with the image of what a Donzi is and would be great additions to this line. Cabinless models for racing in F-1 or P classes and pleasure versions with minimal amenities in the cabins.
Any others feel this way ?

CDMA
09-26-2003, 08:49 AM
This is a subject near and dear to my heart. I think having a 29ZR would be a great addition to the Donzi line. Whether it would be a profitable venture or not is up to the bean counters.

However I spent some significant time in the plant last winter and I got to learn a lot about the entire operation and one thing I realized was it is very easy for us to say Donzi should come out with this model, or that model but in reality actually coming out with a new model is a job of epic proportions. Lets say right now Donzi wants to come out with 5 new models. Considering the size of the company and available R+D money it would be impossible to do them all at the same time. The only would be to space the 5 boats out over a period of time. I know one of Donzi’s next ventures is a 34 ZSC and while that may not be a project near and dear to our hearts it is in reality a very good business decision for them. The 39 ZSC is successful and profitable and building on that success may be the best thing for them right now.

We can sit here and be armchair quarterbacks and say build a 26 classic, a 29 zr etc but what should be most important to us is that Donzi makes the best business decision because if they don’t and go out of business then even the beloved classics we have now are gone.

That being said, yes I think a 29Zr would be a great addition to the line. Would it sell? Well we think so but without some real market analysis who knows. So maybe a 29Zr is on the minds of the leaders of Donzi and if it is…great. At the same time I think it may be unreasonable to think that it could happen within a short period of time.

I will say though I think the next generation of Z boats will draw more from the ZR in terms of styling and design then the current ones. I think if anything instead of seeing a dedicated 29zr we will see an evolution of the Z series towards the ZR line. And who knows maybe in the future another ZR.

Chris

I should be studying…

Tidbart
09-26-2003, 05:06 PM
I thought you guys would talking about new "models". What a dissappointment!
Where are your priorities. :p wink :D

B

Shanghied Again
09-26-2003, 05:26 PM
I know there is talk on the table if not in the plans of a cut down lower profile 33-34 A cross breed between a ZR and a ZX. You still need a cabin in anyboat over 26ft. Always remember the biggest buyer of a boat is not the Husband its the Wife, I have been involved with a few boat shows and listened to the wows of the 38ZR. Husbands loved it Wifes hated it! Since the 38ZR has been made there are only 2 that have been sold for personal use. I love the boat myself, She is one of the most stable,solid and nicest riding boats out there, The Cigarette Gladiator doesn't even come close.

oldLenny
09-26-2003, 08:09 PM
Greg, another fact in the creation of these things is, just south of here in Seattle, is a CNC (5 axis) doing three D modeling on foam core. A dedicated milling machine for the boat industry. The "bed" for it is over a hundred feet long, weighs a ga-zillion tons and the curvature of the earth over that length is greater than the level flat bed. It runs you about $80 a square foot. This does not include the designing, the G-codes or the foam. When this is all done you have a foam core to "begin" with.

An example, that I know of is that the "Chase" built by Campion, recently mentioned here in a post by Mr. Phillips, a Kelowna B.C., Canadian Company, cost $300K to create the molds for...

Backyarders like me have it easy but we go "broke" every other day :(

I agree, it sounds great, but not on my nickel...

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-27-2003, 06:58 PM
A 29ZR/ZX with a cuddy would be in our driveway!

The 33's are way over priced, and are slow for the money your spending.
No new 33ZX 500 boats under $180 or so.
My $ down payment for a new boat just went towards our new inground pool as of 8am this morning, to bad I could not find a new 33ZX at a reasonable price.
By the way, the "Boat Store" in PA is no longer a Donzi dealer. :(
Bryan
http://www.donzi.net/photos/tuvellpoolll.jpg

Air 22
09-27-2003, 09:26 PM
Oh Chris....yes.. i have your freakin shoes for the 3rd time u left them in my boat! :D

And isn't that a 22ZR in you back yard? eek!

You go buddy..... :p

KMLFAMILY
09-27-2003, 10:30 PM
27 ZR w/cuddy ( a mini 38 Zr)seem"s like it would be a practical performance boat.Different power option"s.Twin scorpions or HP 500 ?
It"s nice to dream.

BUIZILLA
09-28-2003, 07:05 AM
A 29 ZR cuddy 500 EFI would give Fountain and Formula bean counters the jitters.

J