PDA

View Full Version : Holley tuning

Blewbyu
08-27-2000, 10:13 PM
I,m a Carter/Edelbrock fan when it comes to carbs-but my X18 has a Holley 600.Seemed to idle smoothly when I bought it last year, but the idle has now deteriorated to "lumpy/stinky rich".I have been led to u/stand the Holley infinitely tunable-but I can't get it to idle decently with idle screws(2).Any ideas?(new plugs this year).
2.Whats the deal with Holleys "power valve"?
Understand it may self destruct.If so-what are symptoms?Can it's failure disable the boat?

------------------

Forrest
08-28-2000, 09:47 AM
You just described the symptoms of a ruptured power valve. Replace it! Holleys are easy. Get some bowl and metering block gaskets, and open it up an take look around inside. Also, pick up one of those Holly carb books at your local bookstore.

------------------
Forrest

RickR
08-28-2000, 10:15 AM
Forrest is correct but
(Wear eye protection)Before you take the Holly apart hose her down with Carb Cleaner with the engine running
Then with engine off
Unscrew the idle screws and fuel level sight screw and spray inside with cleaner also.
The fuel we are getting only lasts around 90 days so it tends to gum up the small passages in the Holly.
I use fuel stabilizer in the winter and still have carb problems in the spring till I use the carb cleaner.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 08-28-2000).]

Edward Donnelly
08-29-2000, 01:38 AM
When you take out the power valve,check the rubber diaphram , if it is wet , replace it

Owen
08-29-2000, 02:05 AM
http://www.usboating.com/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=3070&forum_id=3&Topic_Title=engine+only+runs+at+high+RPM&forum_title=Engines%2C+Electric%2C+Plumbing%2C+etc %2E&M=True&S=True

Read the whole thread.

Blewbyu
09-01-2000, 03:56 AM
You da man Forrest!It WAS the power valve-but I tried RickR remedy first w/high hopes that were soon dashed.My carb has a bogus number and design(non modular)with a 2 pc case/lid-Marine version of 4011 as near as I can tell.Can't find rebuild kit nmbr or "power valve no-rupture kit" nmbr for it.Carb nmbr is 1291-anybody ever hear of that?If I had more money this week-I'd just have bought an Edelbrock/Carter and probably never had to loosen the nuts again.The polished aluminum is real purty tho....