PDA

View Full Version : GeneD: Wow!

Ranman
08-24-2000, 03:57 PM
GeneD, I just finished looking at your extensive picture list and read your story in the registry. What a sweet blend of old and new. Very impressive. Please forgive me for not knowing, but I get the impression that the center hatch does not open. Is this true? Do you have to weasel the engine through one of the side hatches? Anyway, hell of a talent you have. Makes me want to fly to florida to see it first hand.

GeneD
08-28-2000, 05:38 PM
You all making me blush.
The center hatch comes off pretty unglamorously by unlatching a latch in the forward part of the hatch, then carefully pull up on the front, hinging on the rear. When in the full up position, it can be pulled out of it's restraints, (2 wood screws that have had the heads cut off) and removed.
From there, pulling the engine is pretty simple. I ought to know, I did it today!
Hopefully, it will be back in by Wednesday night.
I need it for the weekend, you know?
And BTW, you are welcome to visit anytime. I love taking people for rides. We have Donzi visitors every month or so, or so it seems!
On another note, I am so happy that everyone appreciates 007. But in the two years I have been beating the living hell out of it, it has taken quite a beating. Today, we pulled the motor out and took a nice hunk of paint out of the rear deck. Stupid me, I hit the pressure release on the motor hoist prematurely.
Get the camshaft out!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Gearhead99
08-28-2000, 08:41 PM
Gene,

Sounds like detonation to me. Run the best gas, keep the total timing down. Install Forged pistons, they can handle, some and I say again some detonation.

Smoke in the crankcase has to be blowby. Past the piston.

Part of hi-performance. Build it solid and loose, it will last alot longer at high RPM.

RickR
08-28-2000, 09:30 PM
But then she'll burn a little oil.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

GeneD
08-29-2000, 07:00 AM
Dave,
Yeah detonation.
Maybe I didn't really make that clear as a bell. But yeah, that is the overall consensus, and I agree.
Build 'em loose huh?
I've heard that one before, and I will admit that there is a lot of truth to that.
Rick,
Building a motor loose is really just talking about a couple of thousandths, and should never be heard or noticed in say oil consumption, pressure, or even compression. Look at it as being a safety factor for us guys who run the hell out of our stuff.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Gearhead99
08-29-2000, 09:12 PM
Gene,

When I say loose. You take it to the large end of the tolerance allowance. It won't burn oil !!! You run the pistons on the high side of factory specs, like if they say fit the pistons to .003-.005. Go up near .005. Set the ring gap at .004 per inch or manufactures spec. This is the only place you will cause "oil burning".

Install a "windage tray" in the oil pan with a crank scrapper. Makes a big difference when your tooling along at 3500-5000 rpms. Keeps the oil away from crank so it doesn't get whipped up by the counterweights and thrown all over. Also, the oil hitting the crank throws as they go around slow it down.

Same with the valve stems. Run the valve seats not to be "pencil" thin seats. They'll burn up in a hurry when you're running at high rpm for any length of time.

Make sure you are getting enough water through the engine at speed. Hoses not to small, pump proper size. Maybe the pump in the drive can't keep up at that rpm. I never liked that set up when you were twisting the engines like high-powered boats do. Most race applications use an engine driven pump like an inboard {TRS, Speedmaster, etc}. Moves alot more water.

I also like the pickup on the transom or on bottom of boat just before the transom. Hey, it's the last thing in the water.

Keep timing down. Remember you can't hear it "ping" or "detonate". It's to damn loud. Keep the compression ratio within a reasonable number so you can run pump gas [93 octane] Don't get cheap on the gas. My .02 cents +++ .02 more cents.

Dave

P.S. Gene, checked today, still no 2.5

GeneD
08-30-2000, 07:35 AM
Hey man, I'm with the program.
I understood that from the beginning.
Got the windage tray, no problems there. Crank scraper? I've always wanted one, but we'll wait for the next motor.
Too busy changing out the bearings and rings on this motor to worry about the 2.5 right now, but I am still hoping and praying that one shows up in this century!
Thanks.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida