PDA

View Full Version : Rolls Trailer Transport

Hornetman
08-23-2000, 12:40 PM
OK guy and gals. I'm about to order my new trailer. A 21-6 dual axle job for the hornet. Anyone have any ideas about how to get it up to Connecticut without spending a fortune? I'm thinking of flying down and renting a one way vehicle to pull it up here. I'm no Fla. expert, how about you Gene, do you know where Rolls is at? Know any other way to get it up here???

------------------
Steve A. (Hornetman)

Scott Pearson
08-23-2000, 02:22 PM
Steve,
I know exactly where Rolls is at. I know it will be big bucks to bring it to Conn. About as much as the trailer or more. I might be going to Florida soon a would be happy to bring it back for you. At least to NJ and you can get it from there. Just some thoughts.

(NJ) Scott

RickR
08-23-2000, 02:30 PM
Rolls is in Plant City Fla near St Petersburg
Call and talk to Dan Gallager I am sure they can come up with something.
1-800-ROLLS-52. Ask them if my trailer is ready.
I can't wait, 3 weeks and counting.
BTW I went with Premum Disc Brakes and Posi Lube Axles (instead of the oil filled)on my 2360T.
Their retail outlet is T.A.Mahoney's in St Pete 1-813-241-6500. Ask for Tom Mahoney and tell him your a Donzi Registry Member.
BTW An Aluminum trailer is VERY bouncy without a load(I drive a diesel pickup). Dropping your tire pressure helps.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 08-23-2000).]

Forrest
08-23-2000, 02:46 PM
Your best bet would be to contact Rolls Axle Corp. to find out where all of their dealers are, and just order the trailer from the nearest dealer. That way it will be up to Rolls to get the trailer to that dealer. I know of a few places in Florida to buy a Rolls trailer. One is T.A. Mahoney in Tampa (http://www.tamahoney.com/) and the other is B&G Trailer sales in DeLand (10 miles west of the Daytona Speedway), but they have dealers all over Florida and probably elsewhere in the eastern US. I bought my Rolls 26100 (10,000# capacity tandom axle) for my Magnum from B&G and they cut me a great deal - three grand, out the door - and it's a big ass trailer. With out a doubt, the Rolls is the best boat trailer that I've ever owned.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 08-23-2000).]

AIRGRADY
08-23-2000, 05:28 PM
Hornetman, is your boat a v-drive? I have a steel trailer under my Hornet and the corrosion has started and is getting out of control. It may last me a year down here in the salt water. I will be in need of a trailer relatively soon and just figured my v-drive Hornet would need a custom trailer like the Eagle it sits on now. I have heard nothing but awesome reviews of the Rolls products.
Just wondering.
Thanks,
Grady

Scott Pearson
08-23-2000, 06:19 PM
I bought my Rolls trailer last year on the way back from the Key's and towed it home. I didn't even know it was there. Its model # 1935. I got it for my 1968. It was $1800.00. I went right to Rolls and picked it up. Problem is the only ship to South Carolina. When I was there they where shipping a trailer to Maryland and it was costing the buyer $1700.00. Tell you what...Give me $1000.00 and I will go pick it up!

(NJ) Scott

Donzigo
08-25-2000, 08:50 AM
Hornetman, I travel the Forida west coast area, and am in Plant City all the time. I bought a Performance trailer, aluminuim two axle, last year and am pleased. I wish I were going to New York, I'd pull it for ya. I have not heard of Rolls, but, from the comments, it must be a great trailer. FYI-There is also a popular trailer company here in St. Petersburg called "Alumnuim Slide On - Owens." I don't know much about them; but, I see lots of them around. They are heavy-duty, for sure. Best of luck. I think you did the right thing by getting posi-lub and disc brakes.
Richard
http://www.donzi.net/richardsig.jpg

[This message has been edited by Donzigo (edited 08-25-2000).]

Ranman
08-25-2000, 09:08 AM
Scott Pearson, $1800 for an 18'. Sounds cheap. You guys sure do like Rolls. I have a Randall's VIP which is made in AZ and I don't personally like it. In MI Eagle is most common and considered to be the best. They are nice, but one for the 18' starts at $2350. What makes a Rolls better than an Eagle. I wish I could see a Rolls up close. Can't seem to find a web site on them either.

RickR
08-25-2000, 10:24 AM
Sorry I messed up the page width
Rolls 2160T, I added wheels and spare.
http://www.donzi.net/hull/DMRCA070F090/6.jpg
http://www.holysmokeracing.com/donzi/DSC00199.JPG

------------------
RICKR

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 08-25-2000).]

Ranman
08-25-2000, 10:55 AM
That trailer is aluminum right? Does rolls have painted versions? Is "I" beam construction stronger than square tubing? I know Eagles are square tubing whereas my VIP is "C" channel which I think is not as nice. Plus the finish on the Eagle is much nicer than the VIP. Does the rolls have waterproof wiring like Eagle (I would un-plug it anyway, but just curious)? How about a removable tongue. How is braking handled? If it is as nice or nicer than an Eagle, and the price is less for aluminum, Rolls may be the way to go.

CDMA
08-25-2000, 11:33 AM
Rick,

I want your boat so bad. Does that trailer have brakes?

RickR
08-25-2000, 03:22 PM
Ranman
I have never seen a painted aluminum trailer.
Brakes are optional.
Steel tubing is stronger than c channel but both will rust eventually.
Rolls has almost no steel including the suspension.
The lights are sealed (no need to unplug them), the connectors are not.
1st thing after I get a trailer I redo all the crimp connectors with adhesive lined heat shrink.
You would have to ask Rolls about a removable tongue.
BTW The noise comming from the port side of my boat is sometimes louder than the engine. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif
Chris is right being a passenger is tough. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

CDMA
My 18's Rolls has the optional Dico Premium Drum brakes
The new 22 trailer will have discs
Thanks for the compliment, find a buyer for me the 22 needs some $$$$ thrown at it.
We still want some pics of your 18!
BTW How come your not studying?

------------------
RICKR