PDA

View Full Version : Crane cam 272

Hotboat
08-22-2000, 08:11 PM
I remember 2 people posting that they were going to use the Crane 272 cam in their SBC. How do you like it?

------------------
Hotboat

RickSE
08-23-2000, 10:18 AM
Hotboat,
I finished installing a 272 several weeks ago, Forrest is the other recent Crane 272 user. My application is in a 96 350 (original 2-barrel) with a Holley 650 and Edelbrock Performer manifold. I wanted to see if I could improve on the original cam. The 272 has a great idle and sounds a lot different than the stock cam, sounds very healthy. As for the numbers, I know I picked up some HP but don't how much yet. Last time out I had the wrong prop and could not get the RPM's up high enough. I ran this same prop before with the old cam and saw about a 100-200 RPM increase with the new cam, was running to rich though. Once I get the right prop and get the RPM's up around 4800 I'm hoping to see a little more HP. It also seems that the 272 is giving me a lot more mid range power, the boat really cruises great between 3800-4000 RPM.

I used the Powermax kit from Jegs #270-113942 @ $149.99 and replaced my stock springs with the recommended Crane springs, Jegs #270-11308-1 @ $97.99.

I really like the cam. Although I have not seen a big increase in HP I feel the engine runs better and will build more HP if I can get the RPM's up and the fuel mixture right. I certainly feel it was worth all the work to put it in, pulling engine and all.

I also will be playing with some other combinations to see if I can boost HP with this cam, like carb spacers, ignition timing and cam/valve timing.

I'm going back up to the lake in a couple of weeks with a new prop and will let you know about the final results, although nothing is ever really final with me since there's always something else to try.

Forrest
08-23-2000, 10:20 AM
. . . it sounds great at an idle! Maybe one of the days I see how it well it works when under way.

------------------
Forrest