PDA

View Full Version : Speedometers, how accurate vs ?

AGUESS
08-22-2000, 12:24 PM
Ok everyone,

Time to order my new guages. How accurate do you find mechanical speedometers? Are they worth having? Other than by guessing with the tach, how can you tell how fast you are going?

Is there a better hi-tech solution? GPS?

Thanks for the help as I wonder how accurate a device that registers through water pressure can be.

Alex.

CDMA
08-22-2000, 01:30 PM
Generally they are horible but some are dead on. On two boats I ski on they both have Airguide speedometers that are meant for tournament boats and they are dead on all the time. However I am not crazy about how they look therefore I have stuck with my beautiful original way off Teleflex speedo and when I really want to know how fast I am going I crack out the GPS.

Chris

roadtrip
08-22-2000, 02:39 PM
I have had several boats with the Gaffrig guages in them, including the speedo. They are aknowledged as the industry standard and my experience with their accuracy is that they are pretty honest.
Nothing beats a GPS. I have a Garmin GPS III that is easy to use and dead on. It also includes maps of the lake and the USA. Great for trips, finding your way around, and measuring your speed. Nothing to mount.
It uses batteries or plug it into an outlet.
Easy....

RickR
08-22-2000, 02:51 PM
Consensus is Gaffrig, Lavorsi and Norsog are the most accurate, then VDO.
My VDO says 66@63
Faria says 76@71
The pitot tube makes a difference too.

Since the government dropped SA the GPS is very accurate.
It is a great tool for dialing in performance, even little things make a difference.

I've started dialing in the 22
Tune up +2.1MPH
Silent Choice OPEN +1.1MPH
Spark Arrestor OFF +.2MPH
23 Michigan Wheel to 22 OMC Raker +3.1MPH and hit the revlimiter.

An added benefit of the GPS is you can find your way home with Trackback http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

In the Donzi I permantly mounted and hardwired a Garmin GPS 48(handheld) on the right side of the helm. It looks nicely rigged there and can still see the satelites(the 48 has a antenna that will stand up.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 08-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 08-22-2000).]

Frank Civitano
08-22-2000, 05:57 PM
I like GPS. I have a gaffrig I love the little lie it shows, I do 85 according to speedo. But 78 Gps. When I do hit 81 gps I pin the Speedo. WOW!

------------------
Frank Civitano

GEOO
08-22-2000, 08:43 PM
Frank, How can you hold the GPS and drive? I tried to use the radar gun yesterday; no luck, I needed a third hand? Everything flies out of the boat! The front bottom passenger cushion almost flew out.
What's going on with the Long Island Poker Run? GEOO

Frank Civitano
08-22-2000, 09:53 PM
Geo. The fine details are being worked on now, The date will be Sept 23, Party night before at Paddy Mgees fish house. and that will be the start. Price will be 375 a boat 50 boats max. Waiting for John and Jenn Cohens approval, Then it will be annonced as soon as it is NJPPC will post. We are definetly going. GPS thats why I have a first crazy mate!

Ranman
08-23-2000, 08:47 AM
GEOO,
My little cheapie GPS (Garmin GPS II) has a max speed feature. I will reset it to zero, make a long hard pass, and see what my max speed was when I stop. It's a bit safer this way since I don't have to try to read the gadget while I'm under way counter steering the chinewalk, trimming, etc.