PDA

View Full Version : Windshields and Railings - together?

AGUESS
08-19-2000, 08:49 PM
Ok, I need help. I am almost finished with the restoration of the deck of my 1966 classic 18, but before I paint I need to know something.

My Donzi had Railings. I have purchased a windshield for it. Do any of you have both windshields and hand rails on the sides.

I don't want the boat to look stupid, and I have never seen one with a windshield.

Thanks

Alex.

Blewbyu
08-19-2000, 09:36 PM
Sell the windshield!They didn,t make one in '66-and all the w/s does is change the angle that the bugs hit your face.
Have never seen an 18 footer with both w/s and rails- it would probably look pretty rude tho....
Regards-Jeff

Tony
08-19-2000, 10:03 PM
My boat has a windshield and the full wrap around railing, both original on the 1967 16' Ski Sporter. Check it out here (http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=198) if you want to. My wife likes to sneak below the windshield while sitting near the front whenever we're above 30 mph or so...which is, needless to say, quite often!

GeneD
08-20-2000, 10:17 AM
Check out a picture of PaulO's boat. He has an older Classic with the windshield. You should be able to get an idea on what you want to do.
Have you sent me pics of that thing yet? I'm curious...send pics!
good luck.
PaulO's Donzi (http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=165)

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 08-20-2000).]

Crazy Horse
08-20-2000, 10:21 AM
I took the railing off of my 18 and added a windshield. The boat is more enjoyable with the windshield. The shield deflects the wind from your chest area (warmer) but you still get it in your face (which I like). Trish (wife) enjoys the high speeds more with the windshield. Also, the spray and occasional wave over the bow is no longer a big deal-we stay dry. If you can accomodate both the railing and the windshield that is best case scenario as we miss having something to grab on to. Let us know...

BERTRAM BOY
08-20-2000, 09:17 PM
A GUESS,
I also have a '66 2+3. My wife has the exact opposite opinion that Crazyhorse's wife does. I asked her if wanted me to put a windsheild on, and she said "absolutely not". I think the boat is a blast without the windsheild. Also I think that the windsheild clutters up the 18's lines. But that's just my opinion.
BERTRAM BOY

Tom on Lanier
08-20-2000, 09:49 PM
Paul O's 18 looks good with the W/S but that trailer in the photo is little funky. How do those hard little wheels work?

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

boxy
08-21-2000, 08:21 AM
I'll bet the little wheels work fine on the ramp, but on the highway, the high speed "shopping cart" wobble must be really scary.

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
Ontario