PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever hear of Python Boats?

MikeStar
07-26-2001, 09:49 AM
I was doing a little web-window shopping - beats working! :) - and I found a guy selling an 18' Vyper from Python Boats in GA. The ad claims that it is an 18' Classic hull. Is this so? Did Python buy or otherwise acquire a Donzi mold? Looks like a nice little ride...

Looped
07-26-2001, 09:56 AM
Mike,
Here is a posting about them that you could have missed out on:
http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001930

Craig

MikeStar
07-26-2001, 11:11 AM
Many thanks... interesting reading. As a newbie, the only conclusion I could come to is that the history of the sweet 16 and similar boats like the Formula Jr and Four Winns U's is a bit murky.

When you come right down to it, there's a whole lot of 24 degree deadrise hulls out there in all sizes that look pretty similar, just like there are lots and lots of pickup trucks with 4 wheels, a cab, and a bed. Heck, lots of them are even painted "red" or "blue", and I can guarantee you that Ford, GM, Mercedes, any one of them, pulls apart numerous examples of the competition to see how they're bolted together. This type of thing is definitely not exclusive to the boat industry.

Looped
07-26-2001, 12:23 PM
Do you mean like how the Chinese took apart our spy plane when they were captured on their Island just to see what goodies we had in it?

MikeStar
07-26-2001, 12:42 PM
Come on now, Looped - they were just doing a safety inspection, you know, making sure it was safe enough to sit on the runway...

TRU-JACK
07-26-2001, 01:16 PM
I've been looking at a "Legend" Sweet 16. Looks like a very good copy.

roadtrip se
07-26-2001, 06:17 PM
To me, this is really simple. A Python or a Legend is about as much of a Donzi as a Lexus LS400 is a Merecedes S500. They might me nice boats but why bother with the imitations, splashes, wannabes, and fakes????
Accept no forgeries!!!! Donzi proud, Todd

BigGrizzly
07-26-2001, 07:44 PM
Python is not too far from me. Jim Clark knocked off the Viper off a 18 clasic hull, then sold it. A registry member bough it and restored it. THe boat isn't a bad boat , but its no REAL Donzi. I road in one once not impressed, the viper road in mine and though it was neet , he said he hoped his looked as good in 20+ years.

Randy