PDA

View Full Version : Two questions...

Tony
04-22-2002, 10:07 PM
My 302 engine rebuild went well, but I now have a couple other problems:

1) Any reason, related to the new engine install, that my Bennett trim tabs now do not work?

2) I am again running at very cool engine temperatures...below 100 degrees! Just over 100 at idle, and certainly in part due to the cold lake temps right now, but this is still too cool, right? Currently a homemade deflector is in place of the thermostat, should I abandon this and try a thermostat? Do I need some type of additional bypass plumbing to make this alteration?

Rootsy
04-23-2002, 07:13 AM
Tony,

i'd put a thermostat in... it's the thermostat that controls engine temperature by restricting flow when too cold and vice versa....

can't help you on the tab issue.. does the pump run? have you checked to see if you have power to the motor and the switches?

RickR
04-23-2002, 09:57 AM
Glad to hear your running again!

Try a thermostat. I'd start with a 160.

If the trim pump is on the inside of the transom the ground probably goes on the bell housing. That is the first place I'd check.

JP BRESCIA
04-23-2002, 10:18 AM
What Rick said. I would always start at the ground when troubleshooting.

smoothie
04-24-2002, 07:56 AM
Tony,
Im no expert but your motor will run better at around 160 degrees,something to do with the gas mixing with the air,also you will need to add a bypass for the water (4 tee fittings will do) if not you may have water where you dont want it or even blow out your freeze plugs eek!
Rick