PDA

View Full Version : college bound

CDMA
08-18-2000, 12:32 AM
Well tommorow I am off. Bright and early for my new life as a Naval Arcitect ( I really need to learn how to spell that) to be. I am excited but I still wish there was more to summer. I just wanted to say thank you for all of your help over the last year. I love my newly christened Patience and I will continue to change it and upgrade it.

I am unsure how long I will be away from the board but I will miss it dearly.

Scot,
Keep up the good work

Geoo,
5 point harnesses are a good idea

Frank,
Ditto

Forrest,
Some day I will have as many cool boats

Rick,
Give me a bit and my 18 will also have a 454 ...maybe

Gene,
Stay crazy...it really is funny

Well i used the boat today for the last time probably for awhile but it is waiting. I am ready to do to the external steering as soon as possible. For this winter the goal is to put in the new steering, finish the boat ( some hardware and the stripe) and hopefully either a 350 with some more balls or with any luck I really would love to put a BB in it. I know the boat does not really sit right then but just the thought of having such a monster engine under the hood is appealing. The Rolls trailer is also on the list but that will ahve to wait I think till next year. My got for this coming summer is 68 with one hand on the wheel. This chine walk thing just will not cut it.

Thanks again all

Chris

Anyone else out there with external steering on a volvo with the exception of GeneS. GEOO, what did you have previous to the egg beater drive?

GEOO
08-18-2000, 05:34 AM
Chris, I had a Volvo 290 with external steering, Give me a call I'll give you my 2cents on external steering (203)258-5222. GEOO

Frank Civitano
08-18-2000, 05:36 AM
Chris
Goodluck at school! Dont worry I cant spell architech either. Oh heck I cant spell anything the write way. Give me a yelp when you get back. Have a Great time and we will be here a waiting!

------------------
Frank Civitano

BERTRAM BOY
08-18-2000, 06:47 AM
Okay guys,
That's ARCHITECT......Chris, again good luck at school. By the way, what school are you going to?
BERTRAM BOY

CDMA
08-18-2000, 07:46 AM
As soon as I finish the post I am out the door for a school called Webb Institue. It is a dual bachelors degree in 4 years so I have my work cut out for me. After 4 years I have a bachelors in Naval Architecure and Marine Engineering. There are only 80 students in the school, 20 of which are in my incoming class. So social life will be a hit hard to come by but this is where I really want to go so there will be downsides. It is located only about an hour and a half from my house. It is in Glen Cove in an old Gold Coast Mansion on 26 waterfront acres complete with dock. I even get a waterfront dorm with 18 foot ceilings!!! I like it because it is close enough to go home on some weeknds and play with the Donzi but on the other hand I am moving out and living away so I think it is the best of both worlds.

Who knws when I will be back in touch but have fun all of you.

Chris

Geoo come by in the Donzi. I will be in touch with you about your thoughts on the steering.

Forrest
08-18-2000, 10:37 AM
Chris, I'll bet that you will be able to find a PC connected to the Internet somewhere up there, and for that reason, I expect to see many more posts from you in the near future. Let us know how it goes up there at the Webb Institute. Back when I was your age (the late '70's), and if I was a little more ambitious at the time, I would have love to studied Navel Architecture. Instead, I move to Key West from Virginia Beach, Virginia, worked as a rigger/mechanic in a few marinas, hung out on Duvall Street, and received an A.S. in Marine Propulsion Technology for Florida Keys Community College. It was really cool program. John Carbonell's brother "Sparky" ran the program and they had a number of lab facilities there including a huge dyno in one lab that was capable of testing engines up to the size of a Detroit 16-92TI . . . and they had the big engines to test, too. They also had outboard, stern drive, marine transmission, diesel, and welding labs as well as a diesel injector clean room. Needless to say, it was a load of fun and I learned a lot. Now, I ask myself how did I get myself stuck in a office doing highly specialized computer work for the government? Damn! I knew that I shouldn't have continued my education by majoring in Computer Science at Univ. of South Florida . . . something's got to change! It's way more fun to work on Donzis!

Good luck and put you nose to the grindstone. The waterfront dorm sounds cool but forget about parking your Donzi out back. If you do that, you will never be in class. It ain't Florida State (party football school). There is no doubt that your curriculum will really try to kick your ass, but hang in there and get ready to design the next Donzi hull.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 08-18-2000).]

seano
08-18-2000, 01:26 PM
What about me...???

Just kidding Chris, good luck in school and I think Forrest is right...where there's a will there's a way---we hope to see you back on the board soon. And no sittin around in the dorm room, staring out at the Sound wishing you were on the Donzi! There'll be plenty of time for that later and take it from me...make the best of your college education! 4 years will go by so quick, you'll wonder where it went.