PDA

View Full Version : Your Dream Drive for around $5000ish

Secret F233
04-22-2002, 05:20 PM
I'm So Bummed :( The 800 drive craped out I didn't even get out of the marina. I'm so Mad :mad: I don't even want to talk about it :mad: . So I've had it I love the look & style of the boat but the OMC portion is Outa-There & going on E-bay :) !!!!

I've got the boat back at the house & as soon as I move in 3 weeks the upper deck is coming off & the hole is getting filled :D & I'm going for a frame off resto :D I'm sick of being Jealous of you guys and your mint condition Classics :rolleyes: .

I realize this will be no easy task but a year from now I'll heve memorized every inch of Electrical, Engine, Outdrive, Decking, Hull etc!!!! I will also have a practically new F233 that I know I can get crazy with & not have to worry about it falling apart due to crappy parts or neglect. Plus last my livetime & that to me is worth every second & dollar invested I should also stand to learn quite a bit!!!!

So what would you hook up to a 502 as soon as I get it the engine that is I'm calling Brownie @ Stainless and Moding the Heck out of it :D . So do I need durability like IMCO?, Berkley J/P?, ????? I'd like to hear your Suggestions fellas If ya had it to do over what would ya do?

Secret F233

Cuda
04-22-2002, 05:44 PM
Sorry to hear about the drive problems. I thought of your boat this weekend when I saw a mint 233LS at the boat launch.

If I were you, I'd get a reliable BBC, keep the hp below 500 and install a Bravo drive. But that's just me, reliability means more to me than sqeezing the last few mph out of an engine. The last 5 or 10 mph cost a hell of a lot more than the first 60!

Good luck on your project. What year is the boat?

Jamesbon
04-22-2002, 09:06 PM
The Bravo is DEFINETLY a solid choice. However, there's used Arneson's on OSO for 3-4K...

I know what I would do.

Secret F233
04-23-2002, 08:50 AM
Thanks Cuda ya your right I defiantly want the reliability factor. My 233 is an 1980 F233 & I'm not sure what happened but it said clunk clunk Blurb CRACK BOOOM & I thought I had droped the drive for real. When I pulled it apart a little it looked just like it did the first time so.....I have much to learn in the ways of the gofast O-B-1!!!

But James your right the surface drive would rock out, but are they going to stand the test of time & will I have any control in reverse?????

I was browsing some old posts & man you guys rock I cant wait to get my upper deck off & start on my hull work!!

keepem coming

Secret F233 (AKA Chris Oldfather)

Cuda
04-23-2002, 10:34 AM
My first boat was a 23' John Almand with an OMC drive. I got about a mile from the dock when it shredded the gears in the intermediate housing. That was the first time I got marine sticker shock. The gears only were $480.00! I think I was making about $200/week at the time. I planned on installing them myself, when the man at the shop said that if I didn't shim them exactly right, I would be back the next week for another set. I bit the bullet and paid the $120 to have them install. That was 20 years ago, and I still use the same mech when it something I think that I shouldn't do myself. The drive was still working fine when I traded it in for the CC that I still have.