PDA

View Full Version : "Bad Puddy Tat"

Tomahawk
04-21-2002, 04:04 PM
Bill splashed his dynamite 22 Classic today. Fortunately, he came by my place and we went for a little ride. What a ride! 502 Magnum with Black Hawk drive turning twin, counter rotating 31" pitch props at close to 5000 rpm. Lake Lanier was pretty chopped up this afternoon so, being a new experience, driving had to be on the conservative side. The Blackhawk really does change things around from my Bravo drive 22.
You guys with Blackhawk experience might want to share some tips with Bill. From what I could tell, you need some down on the K-planes to get up on plane. Leave the tabs down a bit as you build speed. When you're going about as fast as you can with this trim, start trimming the drive up, not much, just till the rooster tail is about 20 ft. high. Then lift the tabs. At this point, there is a lot of lift. Not just the bow but the whole boat. You are really getting with the program at this point. The boat feels very light so slow down at the first sign of cruiser wakes.
At least that was my inclination! I just had to run up to the house and post this. I'm still shaking a bit and Bill is not even home yet. This is a very cool boat, will take some getting used to and hauls ass! eek! :cool: :D

ToonaFish
04-21-2002, 04:38 PM
Great to hear that the wet Tat is such a fun ride! Who lost his hat first?

Bunches,

Celene 'watching mares not give birth'

Gearhead99
04-21-2002, 04:39 PM
Sounds like you ran to the house to change something else, besides posting the ride. LOL

Last Tango
04-21-2002, 07:15 PM
Sounds like "Tat" is really a "Bat" (outta Hell). See you boys on Friday...with Last Tango's new secret prop and snazzy Mercury Racing prop cover.
Mark :cool:

Bad-Tat
04-21-2002, 09:11 PM
Tonna,
We had our hats under our feet!!! You need more than a little tab to get it up on a plane or the deck will be almost vertical!! With all that trimming and tabbing need more hands. Came down the lake at about 3000 rpm and didn't have to back off once. Did get airborne a couple of times but much better ride in that chop than the 16. Speedo not working properly so we don't really know how fast we got up to with Tom driving. Neat rooster tail though!!! Will have to take the GPS next week!!!

GEOO
04-21-2002, 09:18 PM
Tom,
Thanks for the At the Helm feel of the RIDE!!! I hope I can get a ride on the Black Hawk at KY. Looking foward in seeing the Georgia Gang.

Bill,
Craig at BDS did some tuning for me a few weeks ago. Always a pleasure when dealing with him!!! :) :)

GEOO

Bad-Tat
04-21-2002, 09:30 PM
Geoo,
How is cousin Craig these days?? You have a ride it Bad-Tat anytime!!!

GEOO
04-21-2002, 09:35 PM
Bill,

Craig is doing well.We'll have to get him to one of these events!!!
I can wait for a ride . I always was very interested in that drive and boat combination.
Best of luck with her!!!

GEOO

roadtrip se
04-22-2002, 11:16 PM
Tom and Bill,

You did a great job of describing how that beast will run at its best.

Couple of small tips:

-Trim those tabs as soon as you feel lift or you
will bury the nose for a real bad day full of instant bath tub.

-Never, ever trim the drive more than 1/8. Boat will get very interesting beyond that.

-Turning with one tab down minimizes the chance of a spin out. Wildest thing to see and experience for the first time, but it works like rails.

-Boat starts to porpise, get it slowed down and trimmed in. It happens once, then twice, and then you're over.

-Cruising over wakes isn't an issue, just tighten the boat up a bit before doing it.

-Check props and gimbal every time. Consider ram steering to take strain off and gain control.

-Fly, baby fly.

From a blackhawk wanna be. Something you just don't forget, a ride in a blackhawk....

Seeya soon, Todd