PDA

View Full Version : Submersible?

Tony
04-21-2002, 09:32 AM
I'm tired of worrying about and checking my taillights every time out, and changing bulbs several times per season. Submersible my butt!

Is there a truly waterproof kit that someone can recommend? Is the setup with the seperate enclosed bulb assembly the best there is?

Rootsy
04-21-2002, 09:43 AM
if you just unplug from the tow vehicle before backind down the ramp your bulbs generally last a long time... sealbeams will last underwater but those little running lights sure won't.. takes me 2 seconds while i am prepping for launch to walk up and unplug lights from my truck... has worked so far for a long time :)

Dr. Dan
04-21-2002, 10:54 AM
:D What James said!!! :D

RickR
04-21-2002, 02:22 PM
Wesbar (http://www.wesbar.com/ACCESSORIES/LIGHTING/waterproof.html) makes a nice light which is available @ major boating centers. The tail light bulbs are in a waterproof plastic capsule ($8.00). But vibration kills them after a few thousand miles.

Formula Jr
04-21-2002, 03:26 PM
Some times the temp difference will crack the bulbs. Dipped once up at Lake Seminoe (Wyoming) and shattered every bulb on the trailer. In other words, you have to unconnect the lights AND let them cool if you're going in cold water. There are actual "Trailer" bulbs, but they are like $11 a piece. Regular bulbs are of coarse one tenth that. I'll take anywhere from 10 to fifteen replacement bulbs on an Xing. If anyone invents an LED trailer set, I'll be the first in line. :D

ToonaFish
04-21-2002, 04:43 PM
Um, and everyone remembers to reconnect them?

Bunches,

Celene 'no Officer, the tail lights work, I'm just preserving the bulb...'

Rootsy
04-21-2002, 09:03 PM
nope can't say as i've ever forgotten to hook em back up before i left... just one of my regular rituals of pre and post launching...

Woodsy
04-21-2002, 09:07 PM
I have a ritual.... it has always worked... I get to the ramp staging area, take 5-10mins and let the bearings cool, while I preflight the boat. Part of the prefilght is disconnecting the trailer lights... they last alot longer that way. The bearings live a little longer too...

Woodsy wink wink

boldts
04-21-2002, 10:17 PM
I have to agree with all said above. I have always unhooked the trailer lights first thing when I get out of the truck. Go about getting the boat ready including making sure the drain plug is in :D and then launch. The last thing I do after the boat is back on the trailer is a complete light check. I made a mistake while in Sarasota, FL last year and left the lights plugged in. On the way home, the light plug ate itself by way of salt-water and hosed the lights even on the truck. Really messed up the operation of the turn signals and even my cruise control. Lesson learned and of course, new trailer light plug and all is fine again. :)

Ranman
04-22-2002, 08:03 AM
I have to agree. I disconnect as part of the launch ritual. I don't reconnect until she's back on the trailer. Last thing I do before I pull away is hit the four ways and check all the lights. Haven't lost one yet.

Forrest
04-22-2002, 09:17 AM
I just bought a set of totally sealed LED trailer tail lights for $49.95 at Wal-Mart and they seem to be better than anything else that I've ever used. Extra bright and no bulbs to replace. Brand is Sea-Sense (http://www.unifiedmarine.com/cgi-bin/start.cgi/web2001/seasense/about_index.html).

jwright
04-22-2002, 11:56 AM
I have the Wesbar submersible lights, and I don't unplug them. They have held up well, I seem to have to replace one capsule each season.
I agree it would be smarter to unplug them, but it is easier to reload at night with them on!

Wildfire
04-22-2002, 09:23 PM
My buddy used to always leave his plugged in. You are right, it really looks cool when you load up at night. Kind of like a runway or something. Hey, it wasn't my boat. My lights never work anyway.

Secret F233
04-23-2002, 11:06 AM
Plug & Unpluging is what i do & it works great in St Louis...