PDA

View Full Version : Can you say, Major Surgery

Looped
01-27-2001, 09:36 PM
Thanks to PaulO for taking this and other pictures about a year ago, I just picked it up today after an eleven and a half-hour excursion. My good does this thing need work, but at the end it should be worth it. I’m beat so I’ll take/post other scary pics tomorrow.

PS. Long Island is a nightmare and no one told me that I couldn’t trailer on Cross something boulevard or highway or well I have no idea.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1399308&a=10452911&p=35425613&Sequence=0

Craig (I think)

GeneD
01-28-2001, 09:36 AM
Craig,
You mean the Cross Island Parkway...did you get pulled over, or was it at the toll booth?
Bummer either way!
Looks like you scored a 1966 sharp "V" single hatch! Way to go!
How much big man????
Is it an optical illusion, or does the transom bracket extend down past the hull?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 01-28-2001).]

Scott Pearson
01-28-2001, 09:46 AM
Thats a cool looking barrel back. I like the 60's style paint job...It looks trick.

Dosn't look all that bad. Hope you can post somemore pictures.

(NJ)Scott

Tony
01-28-2001, 11:24 AM
Craig,

Did you keep your Cobalt? Does purchasing this Donzi mean I can't call you Cobalt Craig anymore? Are you planning on a repower? What did you pay? Where did you find it? Sweet looking boat, post more pictures soon.

GEOO
01-28-2001, 12:43 PM
Craig,

Nice Original V'd Hull, Barrel Back!! What are your plans?? GEOO

Blewbyu
01-28-2001, 07:05 PM
Both GROOVY and PSYCHEDELIC!
Nice hit!Looks like it will keep you busy until JUST BEFORE spring.Good lookin project!
we'll look forward to the "after" pics.
Barrel backs are really COOL!
Jeff

Looped
01-28-2001, 08:54 PM
GeneD,
The Cross Island Parkway, that was it. No, I was trying to stay on it but I kept vedging and being shot off the Parkway. All Island Marine (Oceanside, NY) told me after I got there that it was strictly a Commercial road. No tickets at all, but it was a pain in the a** towing an oversized 26’ trailer for an 18. I was making great time until I hit the snow squalls and the black ice on I95. All the paperwork and Reg states that it is a 69, but who knows. The price you ask, well $1,500 but man does it need work. For the transom bracket, it’s only an optical illusion. This thing has not been modified at all.

Scott,
PaulO took a bunch of pictures about a year ago that show most angles. I have a few of them on my Photopoint site Pics (http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1399308&a=10452911)with more to come. Today was too crazy to take any.

Tony,
I think you have me and the other “Craig” mixed up, I never had a Colbalt. I never cared for the Barrel Backs until PaulO sent me the pics and I looked at them almost everyday for a year.

Geoo,
Plans? I need plans, just kidding. Basically a full stringer up restoration (what GeneD went through). Re-power with a new Merc 5.7 Carb/Bravo 1 complete package that I can get from Doug Russell Marine. For the color, I will be going back to the Donzi stripes. All white with the newer “Donzi yellow” stripe down the center and a 2-3 inch yellow water line stripe on the side. After it’s been run for a season, then I’ll drop in some tricked out motor. But for now, I just want it up and running.
BTW. I gave you a honk on I95 when I went by the Fairfield area.

Blewbyu,
GROOVY and PSYCHEDELIC, You got that right. The guy that painted this thing a few years back was definitely smokin something. They didn’t even put on new decals. He even leave the 2 holes untouched where the metal “Donzi Marine” emblems go above the large Donzi emblems.
Spring, Spring of what year?

Thanks for the interest!

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Thumbnail?u=1399308&a=10571596&p=38823198&Width=100&Height=100&Sequence=0

PaulO
01-29-2001, 08:33 AM
Craig,
I am totally psyched that this thing found you!! I am sure you will get it into the shape you want quickly if your perserverance with that boat yard is any indication. Congratulations!!
PaulO

Dr. Dan
01-29-2001, 06:50 PM
Hey Congrats, I've operated on worse,what a great project, good luck...Doc