PDA

View Full Version : Space Shuttle/GeneD

RickR
08-14-2000, 05:06 PM
GeneD
How difficult is it to go watch the Shuttle take off from the Donzi?
There is one taking off 9/8 @ 8:41AM
Is it hard to find a boat launch ramp with parking available?
What time would you have to be at the ramp?
Where is the best location to watch the launch from the Donzi?

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Owen
08-15-2000, 12:53 AM
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=943763&a=4289178&p=25578228&Sequence=0

I guess there's no room for a Donzi Logo in there. HEY MIKE!

GeneD
08-15-2000, 07:55 AM
I've seen this shuttle, and it is very cool.
What you can't see, and can only be seen when the shuttle rolls, is the big mouse on the underside.
Shuttle viewing is pretty damn easy. The best launching ramp for you to get to is the Merritt Island ramp right off 528. I believe it is Route 3. It is the next exit ramp past US 1 heading east. Go right at the stop sign and the launching ramp (Kelly Park) is on your immediate left. After launching, head east (you're now in the Banana River) to the bridge, and go under the bridge. It is no wake after that so watch it. Then you just head north until the signs tell you to stop. At this point, it is engine less boats only. Then just hang until the thing takes off!
Another place is in the Indian River. Route 520 east to just over US 1, and right before the bridge is a launching ramp (Lee Werner Park) to your right. Take the Indian River north, under two bridges, (the 520 bridge, and then the 528 bridge) and keep going until you see the shuttle on the pad. Stop and anchor and break out the beers.
The ocean is another place to go and there are two launching ramps in Port Canaveral, one at Jetty Park, and another at New Port Marina. You just have to keep south of the jetty when you get out into the ocean.
We'll see you there, keep in touch.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

RickR
08-16-2000, 05:00 PM
GeneD
Thanks for the info. Bummer about your 350. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif

I,ve seen the ramp at Kelly Park, is parking a nightmare?
When you "head east till you go under the bridge" do you mean the RR bridge or HWY 3?
Weather permitting, is offshore the best viewing?

Madpoodle
Are you thinking about a road trip?

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>