PDA

View Full Version : Freeze Question

raritan
01-27-2001, 03:39 PM
I am due to pick up a boat in Central Florida on Tuesday. I will be bringing it back to the Frigid North. Are there any precautions or things I should do to prevent freezing, ie
drain block, or whatever.

boldts
01-27-2001, 05:33 PM
Tom,
If the boat has not all ready been Winterized, Check the post called Dewinterizing by Brian Tuvell. Doc posted a link to a site that covers both Winterizing and Summerizing. I would winterize the boat before bring it north. Especially if it was run last summer. If it has been sitting for a year or so, you probably would have nothing to worry about.

Scott Boldt

raritan
01-27-2001, 05:52 PM
I will start it up before I leave using a hose. I just wondered how much water would be left in the block to cause problems.

Gearhead99
01-27-2001, 10:56 PM
Make certain that you either winterize it or drain it. I live in Central Florida, Orlando, and most people here don't winterize a boat.

It never really gets that cold. You could lose the block or an exhaust manifold from freezing weather.

I think draining it is the way to go. That's what I did when I lived up North. I drained the block, both sides, and the manifolds. Also, the water pump, risers and oil coolers.

boldts
01-27-2001, 11:00 PM
One other quick check to do, loosen the oil drain screw of the outdrive. If there happens to be any water in the drive, it will drain first. This is also a indication that there is a problem with a seal on the drive.