PDA

View Full Version : De-winterizing

Bryan Tuvell
01-27-2001, 03:02 PM
Okay, here is one I would like to read the comments on! Spring is just around the corner in my eyes (VA), does anyone have a great link or check list for de-winterizing the engine, i.e. first start? You know what all should be checked prior to first start up.
R/Bryan

Dr. Dan
01-27-2001, 03:43 PM
Bryan, there's a great site at www.boatingsafety.com (http://www.boatingsafety.com) , it has an "Ask the Captain" site and also technical sites as well. On the ask the captain site there is a "Winterizing/Springizing" section, check it out. ...Doc

Bryan Tuvell
01-27-2001, 06:39 PM
Thanks Doc, great site!
Here is the actual link for others. http://www.boatered.com/forum.asp?forum_id=21&forum_title=Winterizing%2FSpringizing

Bryan

Bryan Tuvell
01-27-2001, 10:43 PM
Thanks Scot, I am sure my ZX would love that!
Believe me she is pampered beyond the norm...
Do you do house calls?
R/Bryan

Bryan Tuvell
01-27-2001, 10:46 PM
Also, Dr Dan. I checked and read everything there and it was not exactly what I was looking for. I posted for the info. Thanks though, other great info there.
So I am still in need of a good list of to do's for start up.
As always, thank you in advance.
Bryan

roadtrip
01-28-2001, 12:23 AM
Bryan,
Let me take a swing at your de-winterizing questions.
1) If you drained or ran anti-freeze through your block in the fall, time to perform the reverse process. Insert the drain plugs, hook up your drive to the hose, and run the motor until the engine runs smooth and the water is running clear from the exhaust and prop. Do not rev your motor, watch your heat, and never start or even rollover your motor without water running through it. You will fry your impeller. Replace your impeller every two years to avoid trouble.
2)Check your batteries. Hook them up to a charger and give them a booster. If they don't hold a steady charge, go get new ones.
3)Top the gas off. The MTBE laced stuff goes bad quickly. There are different opinions on this, but I would rather have some good gas mixed with bad, than all bad.
4) If you didn't do it last fall, replace all engine and drive oils and filters. Check your trim, tab, and steering reservoirs. Don't overfill them, they will just leak every where.
5) Pull a spark plug. Check the gap and the condition. Replace them if any doubt. Check your plug wires also. I replace plugs at 50 hours of hard use.
6) Check your throttle and shift linkages. I will rub a little 30 weight oil on them for grins. Hit all your grease nipples with grease inside and out around the drive. Check your steering linkage and drive shaft for proper lubrication.
7) Check all of your electrical for shorts and proper ground. Make sure your gas fill ground is in place or you will go poof some day.
8) Pull the gas tank site lid up and make sure all lines look healthy back to the motor. Smell for gas. Check the tightness of water separating filter and oil filter.
9) Clear any dirt from your breathing apparatus. I use WD40 and dry it off.
10) Run in salt? Coat your motor in a rust inhibitor.
11) Visually check and touch all water hoses and drive belts, Not loose and no play.
12) Check your tool kit for fresh repair items like duct tape, hose clamps, and ties.
13) Give the trailer the once over. Check your bearing buddies, spare, brakes, hitch, and electrical.
14) Drive. I will coat the prop shaft with grease and torgue down the prop to 55ft/lbs. Check your diodes and replace any that are more than 50% gone. No knicks in the prop. Attempt to move your drive with your hands. There should be no play.
13) Spring cleaning.
14) Take it easy that first time out and check it all over when things are hot.
I am sure I missed a few things, but I hope this helps. Check your manual and make sure you are up to date on all suggested maintenances. Peace. todd

[This message has been edited by roadtrip (edited 01-28-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
01-28-2001, 09:14 AM
Thanks Todd, just what I needed. The plugs are original so I think after I get her started and know she is OK I will change them.
Bryan

Dr. Dan
01-28-2001, 07:02 PM
See Bryan, ask and you will receive? I read some of those comments under that heading and realized they would not hit what you were looking for. Roadtrip covered a bit of ground though,I always get all fluids fresh before the long winters nap. There is a tech. side to that site though and they have proven helpful in the past, thats how I found the "Registry" ... Good Luck ..Doc

harbormaster
01-28-2001, 07:22 PM
Bryan,
email me. I need your correct email address.

Scot

Bryan Tuvell
01-28-2001, 07:26 PM
Thanks again Doc, your right, ask and you shall receive! I live by that phrase!
Even though that particular topic did not help I found a few strings there on life jackets that was a good education for my daughter and to be honest I did not know the REAL difference between type I and II and III life jackets, big difference if the victum in knocked out and what they really do for you, so I learned something too. Safety first in my boat especially when the kids or others are involved....
Thanks again. Bryan