PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Boating Weekend?

Riley
08-14-2000, 07:25 AM
I don't know for sure guys, but I think this past weekend was as close to perfect as it gets for a boat lover!

Friday evening the Les Cheneaux Islands were treated to one of the finest displays of Northern Lights in years. Several friends gathered on docks to take in this rare and beautiful sight.

Saturday was hot and sunny. We started the day by attending the Hessel Antique Wood Boat Show. There were well over a hundred "woodies" on display, and the crowd was huge. Even though we all love our Donzi's, I highly suggest you all take in at least one wood boat show in your life!

Saturday afternoon I hooked up with fellow 18' Classic owner Jamie Brock and we went to the annual Hessel Bay Beach Bash. The party featured plenty of beer, boats, and bikinis, and was a lot of fun. Best part of the day was when Joe Eger came idling in with his beautiful red Z-33 Cross Bow. Talk about an attention getter!

Yesterday the weather was kind of lousy, so I decided to pull the boat out late in the day. On the way to the launch ramp a boatload of people came racing along in a Checkmate Senator, and the driver gave me "the look".
Even though my Donzi surely isn't the fastest on the registry, pride took over and the race was on! Well, to make a long story short, he had too much cargo and my hull was better in the chop, so the Donzi was first to the launch ramp. Best part of the whole weekend had to be when the Checkmate owner asked to see my engine, and I popped the hatch to reveal the little 305 2 bbl. He thought I was running a big block! Man, was he dejected. It was a great ending to a great weekend.

Varyak
08-14-2000, 07:24 PM
Riley,
For those of us who couldn't make you gathering this year, how about planning next year in conjuction with the wooden boat show?
Mark