PDA

View Full Version : should i buy baja 240?going to see sunday??

fasttrucker
04-20-2002, 07:30 PM
well i found a family performance baja at full tilt marine in md. since the last donzi i looked at was sold i might buy this.it has a 7.4 330hp bravo 1.1996 $23500.selling points are a porta potty couch v.berth sleeps 2.i just can seem to find a good donzi around my price range and i got to get back on the water soon.please someone out there talk me out of this!!!

Rootsy
04-20-2002, 08:14 PM
what kind of donzi do you want and how much do you want to spend????

Tomahawk
04-20-2002, 09:08 PM
Fasttrucker - you won't truck very fast with this combo. Just my guess but, that boat seems too big for the power to provide good performance. If you get very far with this, you better try it to see if it performs to your satisfaction. Also, I don't know how true it is but I have heard that Baja is made by Bayliner! :D Do the right thing for you. Good Luck.

Shanghied Again
04-20-2002, 09:32 PM
Fastrucker, From experience, first take out Performance boat from the 24 It is a Force hull, That they called the sport in later years, That became the 24 Outlaw. The 7.4 wont get you passed 58 mph no matter what you try, Actual speed is 52. The Resale on the boat is real bad and its a tank. She handles rough water well but if it is not an Outlaw and its a sport plan on being married to the boat for a long time, The boat is not easy to sell. Best of luck

FASTEDDIE
04-20-2002, 10:42 PM
A friend had one of these and he had it zipped up. It flew. Took me for a ride a couple of years ago and I sat shotgun. My knees were up against the glove box. He opened it up and the ride was the worst I've ever been in. My knees were almost shattered against that glove box because the ride was so ruff. If you can't find a Donzi, get a Formula 271 or 272. Rides like a dream, but no BAHA! eek! eek! eek!

Dr. Dan
04-20-2002, 11:37 PM
Fast, I sense your impatience is directing you to make a hasty decision :rolleyes: , Never a good combination when you are looking at purchasing a boat! This is not Sex, you won't be able to just leave it in the morning :confused: , $23 Grand is alot of cabbage,you CAN find a good Donzi for that kind of money! Why RUSH,take a deep breath , relax and take your time...a good boat/Donzi is like a fine woman, you need to take your time, or you will be miserable :D ,just my opinion!...Doc

fasttrucker
04-21-2002, 05:23 AM
well iam going to go and check it out but i think the doc. is right i will leave the check book home!

Gearhead99
04-21-2002, 06:46 AM
In your post you sound like you are "settling" for the Baja cause you can't find anything else.

Bad move, you will ALWAYS regret a descion like that.

If you are happy with the boat and the ride and the looks, well that is something else. But, don't talk yourself into it. You will still dream and drool over the boat you really want.

Dr. Dan
04-21-2002, 07:58 AM
Just a suggestion, the Bay Bridge Boat Show,Kent Island, Stevensville, Md is the weekend of May 3,4,5th I would suggest you go down there, look around, most vendors post a board of pics of there trades and or occassionally bring a few to unload! There is a wealth of info. there! Liz and I try to make it for a few hours at least each year. Great area and great restaurants and bars nearby! Good Luck... :D Doc

RH
04-21-2002, 01:23 PM
Hang in there and don't get in a hurry. There is still plenty of time to find that perfect boat that will fit your wallet. A hasty decision is like a bad hangover that won't go away. Use all of the resources for your search, you will be surprised at what is out there? I always ask the salesforce at marinas and usually come up with some leads with whatever I am looking for. Patience and some time will often lead to surprising results!
RH

Dr. Dan
04-21-2002, 02:56 PM
Fast, Check out the 22 Classic that is listed on the "Donzis For Sale" section, it's only in Brick,N.J. If Pearson says its a good buy, buy it!!! eek! Few people on this board have a better handle on boat value and true potential as Scott does! wink Call the number and let us know how you make out!...it's right in your price range too! ....Doc

Tony
04-21-2002, 07:21 PM
Dr. Dan,

BTW, what a great avatar you have. That is the Sparty likeness that I know and love best, not the watered down version they switched to a number of years ago.

Dr. Dan
04-21-2002, 11:05 PM
Tony, Thanks, I always liked it too, I was there with Magic and the NCAA Championship, in fact he use to play my High School, seems like yesterday! wink I will be going back for my 25 year Reunion later this summer, Ouch!! :D Sparty sort of reflects the "Donzi Toughness with a Rough edge, like a Classic, Refined Lines, but a V-8 Power Plant" :cool: ...Doc

jdsdls
04-22-2002, 09:29 AM
Check out rpmboats.com they have a 24 black widow.

Forrest
04-22-2002, 03:01 PM
"should i buy baja 240?going to see sunday??"

NO! It ain't a DONZI!!!! eek! eek!

Secret F233
04-22-2002, 03:16 PM
Awe Fast you need one of these:

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/1/2141261.htm

or

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/2/20236202.htm

or

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/7/1476097.htm

Secret F233

Gary S.
04-24-2002, 05:08 PM
Fast, there is a '89 23' Regazza outside Pittsburgh that looks pretty clean, 450 or so hours on a OMC 350, guy's sending some pics if your interested let me know,,He's talking in the neighborhood of 10,000 boat and trailer

Dvo
04-24-2002, 09:25 PM
Fast, suggest you accept Dr. Dan's diagnosis,
and visit the Bay Bridge Boat Show in Stevensville, MD. There, you can also visit North Atlantic Marine Group. My 22 Classic came from there - pretty decent folks. Look at their website: http://northatlanticmarine.com
They have a Blue 1986 Donzi 22 Classic advertised for $18K with "deal pending" noted. There's probably still time to make a cash offer if you like it. In any case get your own trusted boat mechanic to checkout your prospective boat before you make an offer, or purchase. He can save you a bundle by finding problems to fix before your purchase, or help you avoid making a bad decision that will cost you lost boating time and money.

Sean
04-25-2002, 04:26 PM
Just saw a 22ZX 99 Donzi on boattraderonline. It appears to be sold. The asking price was $28,000. Looked to be a good buy. I know you would be much happier with a solid boat like this.

farmer tx
04-26-2002, 10:35 AM
FastT. Two years ago i about did the same thing.Test drove a 94-240 Islander.The guy wanted 28,000 for it. Thought it was too high. Then came across a 22 classic and test drove it. The search was over. Twice the boat for half the money. Most of the time I do something like this I get buyers remorse, but not this time. We love it .