PDA

View Full Version : Missing Donzi Factory website/factory tour

Varyak
08-12-2000, 08:25 AM
New website is delayed until at least October, now, says Phil Stogerer, sales rep at the factory. No explanation as to why the old site was taken down. However, on my tour there yesterday (no photos allowed), I noticed several changes to the 2001 models. Perhaps they don't want to confuse potential buyers with pictures of last years stuff.
My new 18 is out of the molds and being prepped for assembly. The dash board had a single large hole drilled in the center to accomodate the new modular instrument cluster. This piece is being outsourced. The cluster was not available for viewing yet. The new 6.2L engine was also not ready for viewing yet. Phil provided some minimal data that I find conflicting, to wit: he says the 6.2L is actually small block 396 cu. in. He nodded quietly when I mentioned the 320hp figure. A 396 is a 6.6L engine. Perhaps a shorter stroke. Boat will be finished and shipped in about two weeks. I'll let you know what box of chocolats I got. The man says I'll have it in time for Lake Eufala!
Also sitting around the factory were a matched triple set of 575SC's all to go into a single 38ZX the factory is going to use for Poker Runs. They sure were purty sittin there on their pallets behind the 38, where you could touch and feel the power. I tried to roll one over behind my 18, but they caught me.
Factory has returned to three to four boats per day. Too many production flaws at 5 per day. They really put together some super well built boats. Emphasis going forward on quality production, extremely high performance (are we finally going racing again?) and customer satifaction. They really don't want any custom order Classics, as this slows things down. The workers have a good rythm going on the Classics. The ZX/ZF lines are filled with BIG boats. Factory has all the orders they can fill. Appearantly, Donzi is still THE boat to own.
I have a copy of the new color flyer for the new goodie store. Store is still a couple months away as well, but lots of cool clothing items. Favorite nicknacks are the new bumper sticker, golf balls(?!?)(would these make good velocity stack corks?), and an awesome beach towel.
Mark

RickSE
08-14-2000, 10:13 AM
I have the new dealer catalog sheet for the 6.2L and I also talked to the Mercury rep. about the engine. The 6.2L starts life as a regular 350, Mercruiser installs a 3.75" forged crank from Lunati and hypereutectic pistons, thus making 377 c.i. Mercruiser is using what they learned from the Scorpion to build this motor. Since this is basically a custom engine package no other engine suppliers will have this engine only Mercruiser. Mark I'll e-mail you a copy of the catalog sheet for the 6.2.

Varyak
08-14-2000, 07:12 PM
RickS,
Thanks for the flyer. It's beautiful and full of great info. Can't wait to see that engine in my boat!
Have you ever boated at Lake Havasu? What other lakes do you use in AZ?
Mark