PDA

View Full Version : The book "Speed Kills"

CDMA
04-18-2002, 10:11 PM
Anyone ever read this? Is it any good?

( for those don't know it is supposed to be an uncensored life story of Don)

Chris

Sagbay32
04-19-2002, 04:27 AM
Yes, very good so far. I just got it and am half way through it .

I know that everyone says that the books out on Don are filled with false information, but I read them anyway for Entertainment.

"Speed Kills" (by Arthur Jay Harris) is along the lines of the book "Blue Thunder".

MR MAGOO
04-19-2002, 05:46 AM
Yes, it`s a great book. If you can find it, read Blue Thunder, by Thomas Burdick. It is another view on the subject.It`s hard to find but good reading also.

seano
04-19-2002, 07:40 AM
Chris,

I have it if you want to borrow it...lemme know. I'll be out east this weekend.

I also have Michael's book and Blue Thunder if you're interested in those as well. BTW, my copy of Blue Thunder has some intersting writing in it and is signed by David Aronow...maybe Michael can verify??

Sean

CDMA
04-19-2002, 07:47 AM
Sean,

I would but no rush. Maybe this summer. Anyone know a place that has any copies forsale please let me know.

Chris

Delerious at the Webb Institute....

Rich
04-19-2002, 08:42 AM
Chris,
I read Speed Kills and Blue Thunder.......
They tell interestingly different stories...
The truth is out there........

Forrest
04-19-2002, 08:47 AM
You can get Blue Thunder or Speed Kills on Bibliofind.com (http://www.bibliofind.com) but it's expensive! Take a look. Just plug in the title and author (Blue Thunder Burdick OR Speed Kills Harris) into their search engine and then hold on to your wallet! eek! eek!

CDMA
04-19-2002, 08:57 AM
I really would love to find out what the real truth is.....

Chris

Crazy Horse
04-19-2002, 09:01 AM
With Donzi's partnership with Universal someone ought to develop the story for the big screen.

Forrest
04-19-2002, 09:16 AM
Chris, John O. Crouse, author of Searace, posted the following on Offshoreonly.com (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12884&highlight=Aronow+death) recently:

Don was a week from his 60th birthday when he was gunned down by a thug hired by racer Ben Kramer.

He was building a new 45' USA Racing team deep vee hull for my 1988 363 mile Miami-Nassau-Miami Searace, which would have marked his first major race since he quit the sport in 1969!

At the time of his death Don, who I did PR for 20 years for, had become the most successful powerboat figure in history, surpassing the fabled Gold Cup and offshore racer-inventor Gar Wood and the late Unlimited hydroplane driver Bill Muncey.

His killer, Robert Young, hired by racer-boatbuilder Ben Kramer over an argument about money Kramer claimed Aronow owed him when he backed out of a deal to sell him his USA Racing Team company, never served a day or paid a dollar for the crime.

After Young pleaded no-contest (tantamount to pleading guilty) the presiding judge in the case gave the career criminal 19 years to be served concurrently with another sentence!

He walks the streets of America today!!!!!!

John Crouse...

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: john crouse ]

He also posted the following in the same thread in reply to someones statement on the book Blue Thunder:

BLUE THUNDER book okay to a point. But it had the wrong people behind Don's murder...the Mafia. Actually, boatbuilder-racer Ben Kramer hired a long time criminal, Robert Young, to do the hit, over a soured business deal with Aronow..

Youngr got a 19-year sentence to serve concurrently with an existing one and is out on the street today!

Author is Arthur Jay Harris. Book is a paper back published by Avon Books at Dept. FP, 1350 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10019 or call 1-800 238-0658

But John, Harris wrote Speed Kills, not Blue Thunder.

Does he knows the real story?

Tidbart
04-19-2002, 11:55 AM
'Speed Kills' was a waste of time to read. It was one of the most poorly written books I have ever read. There is a reason it is not in print and hard to find. Yes, it has a ton of information in it but the author did a lousy job of making it into a good story. Incoherent, comes to mind.
I have a copy somewhere, if I can find it, I'll give it to you.

BIG BAD DONZI
04-19-2002, 12:22 PM
JUST TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT:
BOTH BURDICK'S AND HARRIS' BOOKS WERE PULLED FROM THE SHELVES AND TAKEN OUT OF PRINT ONCE THE PUBLISHERS WERE MADE AWARE OF THE INACCURACIES AND ERRORS CONTAINED THEREIN.
BOTH ARE BOTH BASICALLY FICTION AUTHORED BY TWO HAS BEENS WHO WERE ATTERMPTING TO CASH IN ON A TRAGEDY THEY KNEW NOTHING ABOUT.
SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Magic Float
04-19-2002, 12:33 PM
Iv'e heard the same thing about the book but would still like to read it. Who's got a copy I can borrow,rent or buy?

Digger
04-19-2002, 01:58 PM
I doubt anyone will ever be able to really piece it all together in one fact-filled book. Just my guess, but it seems to me many of his business dealings were consumated over a bottle of Remy in someone's office, without stenographers all over the place and without detailed record keeping. So I doubt if anyone will ever set the record straight, as least as far as his business dealings go. Whatever "shady underworld" stories people gin up will always remain speculation unless someone is able (and willing) to either prove it or debunk it with the revelation of detailed facts.

Sure, there is plenty of controversy about Don Aronow, thats always the case with larger-than-life, flamboyant figures.

While I thoroughly enjoyed Michael Aronow's book, and leaf through it often just to re-look at some of the great pictures, I would like to learn more about the details of the BOATS. The evolution of his hull designs, for instance. I would love to see some more technical info, to include line drawings of the hulls as they were refined and made larger over the years. I'd like to get into the weeds of the engineering and design efforts... And who wouldn't like to read more of the details behind his obviously fast-living social life?

just my $.02

CDMA
04-19-2002, 03:20 PM
Tidbitnh,

I would really love to read it for information alone.

Chris

HP 600SC
04-19-2002, 09:06 PM
I agree with Big Bad....save your money.
Might as well buy the national enquirer.

CDMA
04-19-2002, 10:31 PM
Big bad you have a private message.

From what I can tell I think we as a group know more about Don then any of these authors. Those that know should piece together the real story.

Chris

Formula Jr
04-20-2002, 01:29 AM
There is a more important question. As to why should we care? I mean what was Don's private life, and Michael's for that matter. I don't care. Nor do I need to know. Boats is boats, and peoples is peoples.
Like my brother always said, "MAN they did alot, do you think you could do the SAME?"

Dr. Dan
04-20-2002, 06:03 AM
Right on Owen, wink May we all be fortunate enough to live a long and full life, we are all family here,let's keep the faith and spirit of Donzi where it belongs, in a class above all others, safe boating this year to us all! :D Life is always better in a Donzi....Doc

GeneD
04-20-2002, 07:57 AM
I know a lot of people in the industry now. I reiterate Big Bad Donzi's opinion.
Though I must say, the fiction in Burdick's book is great reading.

Tidbart
04-20-2002, 01:54 PM
CDMA, I'll take a look for it, and if I find it, I'll send it to you. I recently moved and I am not exactly sure where it is. I'll email you when/if I find it
Bob

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
04-20-2002, 02:44 PM
I started to read it. Got about halfway through and lost interest. The anecdotes about his life were fun to read, but the story of the murder investigation reads like a detective's log book (BIG YAWN). Give me your address, you can have my copy.

Eric

pmreed
04-20-2002, 05:37 PM
I feel silly suggesting this, since I don't have a copy of either book, but, how about sending them around to those who want to read them and then letting Scott (our esteemed Harbormaster) auction them off on e-bay, or sell them through half.com or whatever. Nobody on the Registry seems to think they're worth the paper they're printed on. Au contraire mon ami, since they seem to bring a good price (at least asking)...they could serve a good cause. I'll ante up for 4 media shipping charges for shipping to Scott. Hmmm, how do I do that...I've got it, I'll send $4.00 cash to the first four members who send a copy of either "Speed Kills" or "Blue Thunder" to Scott for resale. Just e-mail me with an address and it's done. If it happens, I'll post awards on this thread.

Just got off the water after buzzing around in my jetboat for a couple of hours under the almost noon-day Florida sun. Maybe that could account for my light-headedness. eek!

Phil

Sagbay32
04-20-2002, 11:59 PM
Yeah, there is a market for the books on ebay. I just bought speed kills for $30.00 plus shipping because I had to read it. The Hard cover I have of Blue Thunder is going for $115.00 on used book sites.

CharlieTuna
04-21-2002, 06:59 AM
I thought "Speed kills" was mostly fiction too.
I have not found "blue thunder yet but I am looking for it.

Sagbay32
04-21-2002, 08:53 AM
Tuna,
You may be able to find it locally or on ebay. Here are a few for sale. See if this works.

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/offering-page/ref=sdp_ab_ub/103-2549183-6221434?index=fixed-price&field-offering-type=used&field-asin=0671663216&field-status=open&size=25&rank=+price (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/offering-page/ref=sdp_ab_ub/103-2549183-6221434?index=fixed-price&field-offering-type=used&field-asin=0671663216&field-status=open&size=25&rank=+price)

Forrest
04-22-2002, 09:10 AM
The copy of Blue Thunder that I read was checked out of the Leon County public library.

Dvo
04-22-2002, 10:12 PM
A couple of years ago I visited the Magnum Marine in Thunder Alley with a friend of mine. I stopped by the main office to get permission to view
the brokerage lot. Raul acted upon our request with a complete tour of the facilty, and inspections of various Magnums on the lot. During the course of the visit it became apparent, that the modest Raul was a master boat builder of multimillion $ performance yachts, and shop superintendent for President Katrina Theodoli. I asked Raul, if he knew Don Arronow. He stated reverantly, that Don hired him as Cuban refugee at the beginning of Magnum in the sixties. Raul has remained with Magnum Marine since his early days with Don. He said without any reservation, that Don was the greatest man he ever knew and the best boss he ever had. Personally, I believe Raul's first hand account of Don, and do not need another reference. Don's Magnum, Donzi and Cigarette creations remain with us today, as standing testiments of his life long contribution to the high performance boating industry.

Dvo
04-22-2002, 10:15 PM
A couple of years ago I visited the Magnum Marine in Thunder Alley with a friend of mine. I stopped by the main office to get permission to view
the brokerage lot. Raul acted upon our request with a complete tour of the facilty, and inspections of various Magnums on the lot. During the course of the visit it became apparent, that the modest Raul was a master boat builder of multimillion $ performance yachts, and shop superintendent for President Katrina Theodoli. I asked Raul, if he knew Don Arronow. He stated reverantly, that Don hired him as Cuban refugee at the beginning of Magnum in the sixties. Raul has remained with Magnum Marine since his early days with Don. He said without any reservation, that Don was the greatest man he ever knew and the best boss he ever had. Personally, I believe Raul's first hand account of Don, and do not need another reference. Don's Magnum, Donzi and Cigarette creations remain with us today, as standing testiments of his life long contribution to the high performance boating industry.